THE NORTH WYKE FARM PLATFORM
The North Wyke Farm Platform is a unique national and global research facility that is linked to real-world farming
ABOUT THE FARM PLATFORM
The world needs innovative solutions for the sustainable intensification of its major agricultural systems. The North Wyke Farm Platform represents a large investment by BBSRC in the future, to not only study but also to improve grassland livestock systems. The facility is a worldwide unique national and global research facility that is linked to real-world farming. We also participate in the Global Farm Platform network.
It attracts researchers from different communities and disciplines who are seeking to develop sustainable ruminant production systems, with an emphasis on beef cattle and sheep production.
The facility provides access to a range of in situ state-of-the-art instrumentation in hydrologically isolated catchments to better address key issues in sustainable agriculture:
- Replacement of nitrogen fertiliser with N-fixation by legumes– to reduce energy consumption and emissions of greenhouse gases
- Using plants to manage soils and hydrology in green-engineering solutions to flooding
- Efficient phosphorus cycling in grassland systems
- Resilience of soil biota and their functions as land use changes
- Impact of grassland management on carbon cycling, storage and sequestration
- Improving the efficient use of water resources
- Improving all aspects of animal health and performance
- Systems modelling to design optimal grassland production systems.