WORK EXPERIENCE AT ROTHAMSTED
We are committed to the development of our future scientists and workforce.
Our work experience programme is designed to provide students with an opportunity to be involved with cutting edge agricultural scientific research as well as a variety of office based and support tasks. We hope students will gain a useful insight into the various aspects of our organization and the skills necessary for different careers.
At Rothamsted Research we offer school students work experience at both our sites in Harpenden (Hertfordshire) and North Wyke (Devon). Our work experience is normally aimed at Year 10 and Year 12 students. Year 12 students have the opportunity to be interviewed as part of the process if they wish to gain interview experience.
We can offer a wide range of areas to gain experience in, such as facilities, horticultural and administration areas. Scientific placements are based within specific teams where students will become involved in the work of that team. Activities will include:
- Overview of Rothamsted Research
- Tour to scientific facilities and field experiments
- Health and Safety guidance
- Insight into the day by day work of a scientist
- Hands-on experience in laboratories
- Data analysis and reporting
- Opportunity to meet researchers and to ask questions about their work
North Wyke Work Experience
At our North Wyke site we offer a week in July. Students can apply throughout the year, for a limited number of places. For more information, please contact us via the details below.
Applications for the 2021 programme are now closed
The Experience Rothamsted Programme
Experience Rothamsted is a work experience programme designed to give year 12 students a taste of what it is like to be an agricultural research scientist. Students accepted onto the programme will follow a varied timetable of activities, workshops and skills sessions during one week of the school Easter holidays.
- Tours of science facilities.
- Shadowing scientists in the field and in labs while learning about their work.
- Presentations, workshops and discussion sessions around science issues and careers.
- Networking with Rothamsted scientists, technicians and staff as well as other year 12 students.
Please be aware that due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation we may not be able to host students onsite next Spring. In that instance we will endeavour to move some elements of the Experience Rothamsted programme online.
Details on how to apply for a place on the 2021 programme will be added shortly.
How to Apply?
Experience Rothamsted 2021 will take place from Monday 29th March to Thursday 1st April 2021.
The programme is only open to year 12 (lower 6th) students and there is a maximum of 16 places available.
Widening participation in STEM is something that we value and we will ensure places are assigned to students from a range of social, cultural and educational backgrounds.