Prof. MICHAEL LEE
Livestock Scientist; Head of Sustainable Agriculture Sciences - North Wyke; Soil to Nutrition (ISP) Leader
Sustainable Agriculture Sciences
Michael is a ruminant nutritionist, head of Sustainable Agriculture Sciences at North Wyke, and leader of the Institute Strategic Programme, Soil To Nutrition. He graduated with first class honors in animal science from University of Wales, Aberystwyth in 1997 and gained a PhD in ruminant nutrition from the University of Aberdeen in 2001, followed by a post graduate certificate for teaching in higher education from Aberystwyth University in 2012.
He worked for the Institute of Grassland and Environmental Research from 2001-2008, before the merger with Aberystwyth University, where he stayed as a principal scientist and senior lecturer in animal nutrition and rumen biochemistry until moving to the University of Bristol, School of Veterinary Science in 2013 as a reader in sustainable livestock systems. In 2015 he took a joint appointment with Rothamsted Research and the University of Bristol as head of site at North Wyke and was promoted to Chair in Sustainable Livestock Systems later that same year.
His research focuses on the sustainability of livestock as a part of food security globally; ‘livestock’s role for healthy humans and a healthy planet’. He has published over 200 research articles and papers including recent articles in Nature and Science. He was awarded the Sir John Hammond Memorial Prize in 2015 for services to animal science and has represented the British Society of Animal Science on Presidents Council 2011-2016.
In April 2018 he was elected as vice president of the British Society of Animal Science and in August 2019, Michael was elected president of the European Federation of Animal Science Livestock Farming Systems Commission.
- Soil 2 Nutrition (S2N)
- DryGroAF (DAF)
- Life Cycle Assessment of Lowland Beef
- Cycling of microbes in a farm Environment
- Life Cycle Assessment of Lowland Lamb
- Soil and Crop Enhancers impact on Silage Quality
- Bovine Respiratory Disease
- 2012 - Post Graduate Certificate for Teaching in Higher Education, University of Aberystwyth, UK
- 2001 - PhD in Ruminant Nutrition, Aberdeen University, UK
- 1997 - Bachelor (Hons) of Animal Science, University of Wales (Aberystwyth), UK
MEASURES OF ESTEEM
- 2015 - Sir John Hammond Memorial Prize for Services to Animal Science
- 2013 - Present - External Examiner at the Royal Veterinary College
- 2011 - 2015 Presidents of the British Society of Animal Science
- 2015 - Vice President European Federation of Animal Science - Livestock Farming Systems Commission