Head of Horticulture and Controlled Environments
Julian manages the horticultural (glasshouses) and controlled environment facilities. He is interested in LED lighting and its application to arable crops and in novel growing systems for defined research outcomes. He has expertise in biosecurity, containment of plant pathogens and of insects, and plant health licences.
- 1976 Bachelor(Gen Hons) of Marine Biology and Botany, University of Wales, Bangor.
MEASURES OF ESTEEM
- Secretary to the UK Controlled Environment Users Group until 2016
- nvited speaker at European Biological safety Association, 2013 and 2012
- Member of DEFRA task force regarding Scientific Licences 2013 until present
- External Assessor RGB Kew Diploma 2014.
- Taught courses on Plant and Insect Containment for the European Biological Safety Association 2014 and 2015
- Consulted on projects for Germain Seeds (2017), Leeds University(2015), Royal Botanic Gardens Kew(2014)
- Invited speaker to University of Salento (2015)