Dr JORDANA RIVERO
Grazing Livestock Systems Specialist
Sustainable Agriculture Sciences
Jordana works on livestock grazing systems with the emphasis on sustainability. Her approach is wide, studying pasture management, animal nutrition, production systems and breeding objectives for several livestock species. Jordana started her career in Uruguay, developing breeding goals and breeding objectives for dairy cattle under pasture based systems. She was awarded a PhD in Agricultural Science from the Universidad Austral de Chile (2013), where she was searching for strategies to improve productive performance of European wild boar under grazing systems. Jordana has also worked on creole sheep production systems regarding grazing behaviour and meat quality. During her postdoctoral fellowship, she studied the joint effect of agronomic management and perennial ryegrass cultivars on the expression of the "high sugar" trait and its effect on grazing dairy cows (performance and nitrogen use efficiency indicators). In her recent appointment at Rothamsted Research, she will be involved in research projects related to nutrient flow efficiency through the soil-water-plant-animal-atmosphere continuum, animal behaviour and welfare, animal genetic selection, grazing systems, sustainability metrics and sustainable farming systems. She also participates in the CCG North Wyke Farm Platform, working on grazing management of beef and sheep, pasture production/utilisation and product quality.
- Soil 2 Nutrition (S2N)
- 2014 - Diploma in Applied Statistics, Universidad Austral de Chile, Chile
- 2013 - PhD in Agricultural Science, Universidad Austral de Chile, Chile
- 2004 - Agricultural Engineer, Universidad de la Republica, Uruguay.
MEASURES OF ESTEEM
- 2017 - Reviewer of PLOS ONE
- 2017 - Member of the British Grassland Society
- 2017 - Member of the British Society of Animal Science
- 2016-2017 Reviewer of the Animal Production Science journal
- 2016-2017 Referee of the Chilean National Council of Science and Technology(CONICYT) on its postgraduate fellowship programme_x000D_ 2014-2017 Supervisor of three Masters thesis
- 2013-2016 Member of the Chilean Society of Animal Production (SOCHIPA)