Plant Biology & Crop Science
Dr Malcolm J. Hawkesford works at Rothamsted Research, a leading centre of multidisciplinary scientific excellence, primarily of relevance to crops and products from crops, located in the south east of the United Kingdom. He leads the 20:20 wheat ® project, and is Head of the Plant Biology and Crop Science Department. He has published widely on the biochemistry and molecular biology of plant nutrition and is internationally recognised for contributions in the field of nitrogen and sulfur nutrition and transport.
Most recently he has focussed on nitrogen metabolism, particularly utilizing genomic approaches combined with field scale experimentation to dissect traits associated with efficient use of fertilisers. A number of projects have utilised the long term field experiments at Rothamsted for transcriptome and metabolome profiling. The major targets have been related to nutrient acquisition and remobilization and the controls of these processes. Since 2006, he has had responsibility for overseeing the Rothamsted nitrogen-related experiments and field trials in the DEFRA Wheat Genetic Improvement Network project, which is focussed on the analysis of genetic variation in nitrogen use efficiency. As well as interests in food production, he contributes to research on renewable bioenergy crop production, in relation to the sustainable use of fertilisers and influences on biomass quality. He also leads the field phenotyping project at Rothamsted
Phone:+44 (0) 1582 763 133 ext: +44 1582 938597
Location:Rothamsted Research, West Common, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2JQ
- *Developing novel types of low
- Indo-UK Centre for INEW
- *INEW-Summer schools & collabor
- NUCLEUS: a virtual joint centre to deliver enhanced Nitrogen Use effiCiency via an integrated soiL-plant systEms approach for the Uk & BraSil
- Maximising yield potential of wheat
- Enhancing Diversity in UK wheat through a public sector prebreeding programme: Wheat Institute Strategic Programme (WISP) extension
- The relationships between genotype, yield and environmental factors on protein distribution in the wheat endosperm
- *IWYP-Increase wheat yields
- An evaluation of nitrogen form and remobilization in Miscanthus and impact of emissions in combustion and gasification
- Optimising nutrient use in cereals
- Lawes Trust Studentship: Enhancing yield for bioenergy with stay-green phenotypes in wheat
- The Wheat Genetic Improvement Network (WGIN) - Improving the environmental footprint of farming through crop genetics and targeted traits analysis
- BBSRC IPA: Improving the nitogen response of UK wheat varieties
- Biochemical and genetic dissection of control of plant mineral Nutrition: BIONUT
- Extension to Wheat Genetic lmprovement Network (WGIN)
- Combined with S5413 The Wheat Genetic Improvement Network (WGIN3) - Improving the resilience of UK wheat yield and quality through crop genetics and targeted traits analysis
- Genetic improvement of perennial biomass crops within a sustainable land use context
- The BBSRC Sustainable Bioenergy Centre (BSBEC): Perennial Bioenergy Crops Programme
- The Wheat Genetic Improvement Network (WGIN) - Improving the environmental footprint of farming through crop genetics and targeted traits analysis
- Enhancing Diversity in UK wheat through a public sector prebreeding programme
- Phenotyping root function in wheat
- Combined with S5413 The Wheat Genetic Improvement Network (WGIN3) - Improving the resilience of UK wheat yield and quality through crop genetics and targeted traits analysis
- *Catalysing collaboration & exchange between wheat scientists in the UK and West Asia
Primary research publications
- Semenov MA, Mitchell RAC, Whitmore AP, Hawkesford MJ, Parry MAJ and Shewry PR (2012) Shortcomings in wheat yield predictions. Nature Climate Change (online). doi:10.1038/nclimate1511
- Shahbaz M, Parmar S, Stuiver CEE, Hawkesford MJ, De Kok LJ (2012) Copper toxicity and sulphur metabolism in Chinese cabbage are affected by UV radiation. Environ Exp Bot (in press).
- Parry MAJP, Hawkesford MJ (2012) An integrated approach to crop genetic improvement. J Integr Plant Biol. (submitted)
- Hawkesford MJ, Parmar S and Buchner P (2012) Mineral composition analysis: measuring anion uptake and anion concentrations in plant tissues. In: Methods in Molecular Biology: Plant Mineral Nutrition, Humana Press, USA (in press)
- Takahashi H, Buchner P, Yoshimoto N, Hawkesford MJ and Shiu S-H (2012) Evolutionary relationships and functional diversity of plant sulfate transporters. Front. Plant Sci. 2:119. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2011.00119
- Siyiannis VF, Protonotarios VE, Zechmann B, Chorianopoulou SN, Müller M, Hawkesford MJ and Bouranis DL (2011) Comparative spatiotemporal analysis of root aerenchyma formation processes in maize due to sulphate, nitrate or phosphate deprivation. Protoplasma (available online, in press).
- Moore KL, Zhao FJ, Gritsch CS, Tosi P, Hawkesford MJ, McGrath SP, Shewry PR, Grovenor C (2012) Localisation of Iron in Wheat Grain Using High Resolution Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry J Cereal Sci. 55, 183-197.
- Cabannes E Buchner P, Broadley MR, and Hawkesford MJ (2011) A comparison of sulfate and selenium accumulation in relation to expression of sulfate transporter genes in Astragalus species. Plant Physiol 157, 2227-2239.
- Moore KL, Schröder M, Wu Z, Martin BGH, Hawes CR, McGrath SP, Hawkesford MJ, Ma JF, Zhao FJ and Grovenor CRM (2011) High-resolution secondary ion mass spectrometry reveals the contrasting subcellular distribution of arsenic and silicon in rice roots. Plant Physiol 156, 913-924.
- Parry MAJP, Hawkesford MJ (2010) Food security: increasing yield and improving resource use efficiency. Proc Nutr Soc 69, 592-600.
- Barraclough PB, Howarth JR, Jones J, Lopez-Bellido R, Parmar S, Shepherd CE, Hawkesford MJ (2010) Nitrogen efficiency of wheat: genotypic and environmental variation and prospects for improvement. Eur J Agron 33, 1-11.
- Shinmachi F, Buchner P, Stroud JL, Parmar S, Zhao FJ, McGrath SP, Hawkesford MJ (2010) Influence of sulfur deficiency on the expression of specific sulfate transporters and the distribution of sulfur, selenium and molybdenum in wheat Plant Physiol 153, 327-336.
- Stroud JL, Zhao FJ, Buchner P, Shinmachi F, McGrath SP, Abercassis J, Hawkesford MJ, Shewry PR (2010) Impacts of sulphur nutrition on micronutrient (Se and Mo) concentrations in wheat grain. J Cereal Sci 52, 111-113.
- Buchner P, Parmar S, Kriegel A, Carpentier M, Hawkesford MJ (2010) The sulphate transporter gene family in wheat: tissue-specific gene expression in relation to nutrition. Molec Plant 3, 374-389
- Godfrey D, Hawkesford MJ, Powers S, Millar S, Shewry PR (2010) Nutritional effects on wheat grain composition and end use quality. J Agric Food Chem 58, 3012-3021
- Shahbaz M, Tseng MH, Stuiver CEE, Koralewska A, Posthumus FS, Venema JH, Parmar S, Schat H, Hawkesford MJ, De Kok LJ (2010) Copper exposure interferes with the regulation of the uptake, distribution and metabolism of sulfate in Chinese cabbage. J Plant Physiol 167, 438–446
- Moore KL, Schröder M, Lombi E, Zhao F-J, McGrath SP, Hawkesford MJ, Shewry P, Grovenor CRM (2010) NanoSIMS Analysis of arsenic and selenium in cereal grain. New Phytol 185, 434-445
- Foulkes MJ, Hawkesford MJ, Barraclough PB, Holdsworth MJ, Kerr S, Kightley S, Shewry PR (2009) Identifying traits to improve the nitrogen economy of wheat. Recent advances and future prospects Field Crops Res 114, 329-342.
- Dubousset L, Abdallah M, Desfeux AS, Etienne P, Meuriot F, Hawkesford MJ, Gombert J, Ségura R, Bataillé M-P, Rezé S, Bonnefoy J, Ameline AF, Ourry A, Le Dily F, Avice JC (2009) Remobilization of leaf S compounds and senescence in response to restricted sulphate supply during the vegetative stage of oilseed rape are affected by mineral N availability. J Exp Bot 60, 3239-3253.
- Schmalenberger A, Hodge S, Hawkesford MJ, Kertesz MA (2009) Sulfonate desulfurization in Rhodococcus from wheat rhizosphere communities FEMS Microbiology Ecology 67, 140-150.
- Howarth JR, Parmar S, Barraclough PB, Hawkesford MJ (2009) A sulphur-deficiency induced gene, sdi1, involved in the utilisation of stored sulphate pools under S-limiting conditions has potential as a diagnostic indicator of S-nutritional status. Plant Biotech J 7, 200-209
- Koralewska A, Stuiver CEE, Posthumus FS, Kopriva S, Hawkesford MJ, De Kok LJ (2009) Expression and activity of sulfate transporters and APS reductase in curly kale in response to sulfate deprivation and re-supply. Journal of Plant Physiology 166, 168-179.
- Howarth JR, Parmar S, Jones J, Shepherd C, Carol C, Galster A, Hawkins N, Miller S, Baker J, Ward J, Beale M, Verrier P, Barraclough P, Hawkesford MJ (2008) Co-ordinated expression of amino acid metabolism in response to N and S deficiency during wheat grain filling. J Exp. Bot. 59, 3675-3689
- Koralewska A, Stuiver CEE, Posthumus FS, Kopriva S, Hawkesford MJ, De Kok LJ (2008) Regulation of sulfate uptake, expression of the sulfate transporters Sultr1;1 and Sultr1;2, and APS reductase in Chinese cabbage (Brassica pekinensis) as affected by atmospheric H2S nutrition and sulfate deprivation. Functional Plant Biol 35, 318-327.
- Schmalenberger A, Hodge S, Bryant A, Hawkesford MJ, Singh BK and Kertesz MA (2008) The role of Variovorax and other Comamonadaceae in sulphur transformations by microbial wheat rhizosphere communities exposed to different sulphur fertilization regimes. Environ Microbiol 10, 1486-1500.
- Baxter I, Muthukumar B, Park HC, Buchner P, Lahner B, Danku J, Zhao K, Lee J, Hawkesford MJ, Guerinot ML, Salt DE (2008) Variation in Molybdenum Content Across Broadly Distributed Populations of Arabidopsis thaliana is Controlled By a Mitochondrial Molybdenum Transporter (MOT1). PLoS Genetics 4(2): e1000004 doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1000004
- Koralewska A, Posthumus FS, Stuiver CEE, Buchner P, Hawkesford MJ, De Kok LJ (2007) The Characteristic High Sulfate Content in Brassica oleracea is controlled by the Expression and Activity of Sulfate Transporters. Plant Biology 9, 654-661.
- Parmar S, Buchner P and Hawkesford MJ (2007) Leaf developmental stage affects sulfate depletion and specific sulfate transporter expression during sulfur deprivation in Brassica napus L. Plant Biology 9, 647-653.
- Plaza S, Tearall KL, Zhao FJ, Buchner P, McGrath SP, Hawkesford MJ (2007) Expression and functional analysis of metal transporter genes in two contrasting ecotypes of the hyperaccumulator Thlaspi caerulescens. J Exp Bot 58, 1717-1728.
- Bouranis DL, Chorianopoulou SN, Siyiannis VF, Protonotarios VE, Hawkesford MJ (2007) Lysigenous aerenchyma development in roots – Triggers and cross-talks for a cell elimination program. Int J Plant Devel Biol 1(1), 127-140.
- Hawkesford MJ and Zhao FJ (2007) Selenium – strategies for increasing selenium content of wheat. J. Cereal Sci. 46, 282-292.
- Broadley MR, White PJ, Bryson RJ, Meacham MC, Bowen HC, Johnson SE, Hawkesford MJ, McGrath SP, Zhao FJ, Breward N, Harriman M, Tucker M (2006) Biofortification of U.K. food crops with selenium (Se). Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 65, 169-181.
- Bouranis DL, Chorianopoulou SN, Kollias C, Maniou P, Protonotarios VE, Siyiannis VF, Hawkesford MJ (2006) Dynamics of aerenchyma distribution in the cortex of sulphate-deprived adventitious roots of maize. Annal Bot 97, 695-704.
- Hawkesford, MJ and De Kok LJ (2006) Managing plant sulphur. Plant Cell and Environment 29, 382-395.
- Brown D, Clark L, Howarth J, Parmar S and Hawkesford MJ (2006) Mechanical impedance and nutrient acquisition in rice. Plant and Soil, 280, 65-76.
- Lu C, Hawkesford MJ, Barraclough PB, Poulton PR, Wilson ID, Barker GL, and Edwards KJ 2005. Markedly different gene expression in wheat grown with organic or inorganic fertilizer Proc Royal Society Series B 272, 1901-1908.
- Wawrzyska A, Lewandowska M, Hawkesford MJ, Sirko A (2005) Using a suppression subtractive library-based approach to identify tobacco genes regulated in response to short-term sulphur deficit. Journal of Experimental Botany 56, 1575-1590.
- Nikiforova V, Kopka J, Tolstikov V, Fiehn O, Hopkins L, Hawkesford MJ, Hesse H, Hoefgen R (2005) Systems Rebalancing of Metabolism in Response to Sulfur Deprivation, as Revealed by Metabolome Analysis of Arabidopsis Plants. Plant Physiol. 138: 304-318.
- Hopkins L, Parmar S, Baszczyk A, Hesse H, Hoefgen R, and Hawkesford MJ (2005) O-Acetylserine and the Regulation of Expression of Genes Encoding Components for Sulfate Uptake and Assimilation in Potato. Plant Physiol. 138: 433-440.
- Kataoka T, Watanabe-Takahashi Akiko, Hayashi N, Ohnishi M, Mimura T, Buchner P, Hawkesford MJ, Yamaya T and Takahashi H (2004) Vacuolar sulfate transporters are essential determinants controlling internal distribution of sulfate in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 16, 2693-2704.
- Buchner P, CEE Stuiver, S Westerman, M Wirtz, R Hell, MJ Hawkesford and LJ DeKok (2004) Regulation of sulfate uptake and expression of sulfate transporter genes in Brassica oleracea L. as affected by atmospheric H2S and pedospheric sulfate nutrition. Plant Physiology 136, 3396-3408.
- Buchner P, Takahashi H and Hawkesford MJ (2004) The plant sulphate transport – a highly regulated cascade of uptake, intracellular and long distance transport. J. Exp. Bot. 55, 1765-1773.
- Hopkins L, Parmar S, Bouranis DL, Howarth JR and Hawkesford MJ (2004) Coordinated expression of sulfate uptake and components of the sulfate assimilatory pathway in maize. Plant Biology 6, 408-414.
- Buchner P, Prosser I and Hawkesford MJ (2004) Phylogeny and expression of paralogous and orthologous sulphate transporter genes in diploid and hexaploid wheats. Genome 47, 526-534.
- Howarth JR, Fourcroy P, Davidian J-C, Smith FW and Hawkesford MJ (2003) Cloning of two contrasting sulfate transporters from tomato induced by low sulfate and infection by the vascular pathogen Verticillium dahliae. Planta 218, 58-64.
- Bouranis DL, Chorianopoulou SN, Siyiannis VF, Protonotarios VE and Hawkesford MJ (2003) Aerenchyma formation in roots of maize during sulphate starvation. Planta 217, 382-391
- Bouranis DL, Chorianopoulou SN, Protonotarios VE, Siyiannis VF, Hopkins L and Hawkesford MJ (2003) Leaf Responses of Young Iron-Inefficient Maize Plants to Sulfur Deprivation. Journal of Plant Nutrition 26 (6), 1189-1202
- Hawkesford MJ (2003) Transporter gene families in plants: the sulphate transporter gene family — redundancy or specialization? Physiologia Plantarum 117, 155-165.
- Lombi E, Tearall K, Howarth J, Zhao F, Hawkesford MJ and McGrath SP (2002) Influence of iron status on cadmium and zinc uptake by different ecotypes of the hyperaccumulator Thlaspi caerulescens. Plant Physiol. 128, 1359-1367.
- Williams JS, Hall S, Hawkesford MJ, Beale MH, and Cooper RM (2002) Elemental sulfur and thiol accumulation in tomato and defense against a fungal vascular pathogen. Plant Physiol. 128, 150-159.
- Blaszczyk A, Sirko L, Hawkesford M and Sirko A (2002) Biochemical analysis of transgenic tobacco lines producing bacterial serine acetyltransferase. Plant Science 162, 589-597.
- Warrilow AGS and Hawkesford MJ (2002) Modulation of cyanoalanine synthase and O-acetylserine (thiol) lyases A and B activity by ß-substituted alanyl and anion inhibitors. J. Exp. Bot. 53, 439-445.
- Blake-Kalff MMA, Zhao FJ, Hawkesford MJ and McGrath SP (2001) Using plant analysis to predict yield losses caused by sulphur deficiency. Ann. Appl. Biol. 138, 123-127.
- Jost J, Berkowitz O, Wirtz M, Hopkins L, Hawkesford MJ, Hell R (2000) Genomic and functional characterization of the oas gene family encoding O-acetylserine (thiol) lyases, enzymes catalyzing the final step in cysteine biosynthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. Gene 253, 237-247.
- Takahashi H, Watanabe A, Smith FW, Blake-Kalff MMA, Hawkesford MJ and Saito K (2000) Uptake and translocation of sulfate in Arabidopsis: three functional sulfate transporters are regulated by sulfur deficiency in different cell types. Plant J 23, 171-182.
- Blake-Kalff MMA, Hawkesford MJ, Zhao FJ and McGrath SP (2000) Diagnosing sulphur deficiency in field-grown oilseed rape (Brassica napus L) and wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) Plant Soil 225 (1/2), 95-107.
- Hawkesford MJ and Wray JL (2000) Molecular genetics of sulphur assimilation. Adv in Botanical Research 33, 159-223.
- Warrilow AGS and Hawkesford MJ (2000) Cysteine synthase substrate specificities classify the mitochondrial isoform as a cyanoalanine synthase J. Exp. Bot. 51, 985-993.
- Smith, F.W., Rae, A.L. and Hawkesford, M.J. (2000) Molecular mechanisms of phosphate and sulphate transport in plants. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1465:236-245.
- Hawkesford, MJ (2000) Plant responses to sulphur deficiency and the genetic manipulation of sulphate transporters to improve S-utilisation efficiency. J. Exp. Bot. 51, 131-138.
- Zhao FJ, Hawkesford MJ and McGrath SP (1999) Sulphur assimilation and effects on yield and quality of wheat. J. Cereal Science 30, 1-17.
- Mechteld M.A. Blake-Kalff , Kevin R. Harrison, Malcolm J. Hawkesford, Fangjie J. Zhao, and Steve P. McGrath (1998) Allocation of sulfur within oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.) leaves in response to sulfur-deficiency. Plant Physiology 118, 1337-1344.
- Warrilow AGS and Hawkesford MJ (1998) Separation, subcellular location and influence of sulphur nutrition on isoforms of cysteine synthase in spinach. J.Exp. Bot. 49, 1625-1636.
- Gilbert S, Clarkson DT, Cambridge M, Lambers H and Hawkesford MJ (1997) Sulfate-deprivation has an early effect on the content of ribulose 1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase and photosynthesis in young leaves of wheat. Plant Physiology 115, 1231-1239
- Smith FW, Hawkesford MJ, Ealing PM, Clarkson DT, Vanden Berg PJ, Belcher AR and Warrilow AGS. (1997) Regulation of expression of a cDNA from barley roots encoding a high affinity sulphate transporter. The Plant Journal 12, 875-884.
- Rengel Z & Hawkesford MJ (1997) Biosynthesis of a 34-kDa polypeptide in the root-cell plasma membrane of Zn-efficient wheat genotypes increases upon Zn starvation. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 24, 307-315.
- Zhao, FJ, Hawkesford, MJ, Warrilow AGS, McGrath SP & Clarkson DT (1996) Responses of two wheat varieties to sulphur addition and diagnosis of sulphur deficiency. Plant and Soil 181, 317-327
- Smith FW, Ealing, PM, Hawkesford MJ and Clarkson DT (1995) Plant members of a family of sulfate transporters reveal functional subtypes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci USA 92, 9373-9377
- Smith, F.W., Hawkesford, M.J., Prosser, IM and Clarkson DT (1995) Isolation of a cDNA from Saccharomyces cerevisiae that encodes a high affinity sulphate transporter at the plasma membrane. Mol. Gen. Genet. 247, 709-715
- Hawkesford MJ, Schneider A, Belcher AR and Clarkson DT (1994) Regulation of enzymes of the sulfur-assimilatory pathway. J. Plant Nutrition and Soil Science (Z. Pflanzenernahr. Bodenk.), 158, 55-57.
- Smith, F.W., Hawkesford, M.J., Prosser, I.M. and Clarkson, D.T. (1993). Approaches to cloning genes encoding for nutrient transporters in plants. Plant and Soil 155/156, 139-142.
- Clarkson, D.T., Hawkesford, M.J. (1993). Molecular biological approaches to plant nutrition. Plant and Soil 155/156, 21-31.
- Hawkesford, M.J., Davidian, J-C. and Grignon, C. (1993). Sulphate/H+ co-transport in plasma membrane vesicles isolated from Brassica napus: increased transport in membranes isolated from suplhur-starved plants. Planta 190, 297-304.
- Clarkson, D.T., Hawkesford, M.J., Davidian, J-C. and Grignon, C. (1992). Contrasting responses of sulphate and phosphate transporters in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) roots to protein modifying reagents and inhibition of protein synthesis. Planta 187, 306-314.
- Hawkesford, M.J. and Belcher, A.R. (1991). Differential protein synthesis in response to sulphate and phosphate deprivation: identification of possible components of plasma membrane systems in cultured tomato roots. Planta 185, 323-329.
- Hawkesford, M.J., Liddell, A.D. and Leaver, C.J. (1989). Composition of cyt. c. oxidase in mitochondria of Zea mays. Plant Physiol. 91, 1535-1542.
- Leaver, C.J., Isaac, P.G., Small, I.D., Bailey-Serres, J., Liddell, A.D. and Hawkesford, M.J. (1988). Mitochondrial genome diversity and cytoplasmic male sterility in higher plants. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. London B 319, 165-176.
- Clark, R.D., Hawkesford, M.J., Couglan, S.J., Bennett, J. and Hind, G. (1984). Association of ferredoxin-NADP+ oxidoreductase with the chloroplast cyt bf complex. FEBS Lett. 174, 137-142.
- Houchins, J.P., Hawkesford, M.J. and Hind, G. (1983). Kinetic and spectral resolution of cyt c-553 and cyt f in the photosynthetic electron transfer chain. FEBS Lett. 159, 267-270.
- Hawkesford, M.J., Houchins, J.P. and Hind, G. (1983). Reconstitution of photosynthetic electron transfer in cyanobacterial heterocyst membranes. FEBS Lett. 159, 262-266.
- Hawkesford, M.J., Reed, R.H., Rowell, P. and Stewart, W.D.P. (1982). Nitrogenase activity and membrane electrogenesis in the cyanobacterium Plectonema boryanum. Eur. J, Biochem. 127, 63-66.
- Hawkesford, M.J., Reed, R.H., Rowell, P. and Stewart, W.D.P. (1981). Nitrogenase activity and membrane electrogenesis in the cyanobacterium Anabaena variabilis. Eur. J. Biochem. 115, 519-532.
Malcolm J Hawkesford and Peter Buchner (eds) (2001). The molecular analysis of plant adaptation to the environment. Kluwer, The Netherlands.
J-C Davidian, D. Grill, LJ De Kok, I Stulen, MJ Hawkesford, E Schnug and H Rennenberg (eds) (2003) Sulfur transport and assimilation in plants: regulation, interaction and signalling. Backhuys, Leiden.
Malcolm J Hawkesford (2004) (ed) Journal of Experimental Botany (Special Issue) Sulphur Metabolism in Plants - Integrating Complexity
K. Saito, L.J. De Kok, I. Stulen, M.J. Hawkesford, E. Schnug, A. Sirko and H. Rennenberg (eds) (2005). Sulfur transport and assimilation in plants in the post genomic era. 270 pp., with 97 figures and 24 tables. ISBN 90-5782-166-4
Malcolm J Hawkesford and Luit De Kok (eds) (2007) Sulphur in Plants: An Ecophysiological Perspective. Springer, Dordrecht, the Netherlands.
Sirko, L.J. De Kok, S. Haneklaus, M.J. Hawkesford, H. Rennenberg K. Saito, E. Schnug and I. Stulen, (eds) (2009). Sulfur metabolism in plants. 314 pp. Margraf, Germany, ISBN 97-8382-361-5477
M J Hawkesford and P Barraclough (2011) The Molecular and Physiological Basis of Nutrient Use efficiency in Crops. Wiley-Blackwell.
Luit J. De Kok, Michael Tausz, Malcolm J. Hawkesford, Rainer Hoefgen, Michael T. McManus, Robert M. Norton, Heinz Rennenberg, Kazuki Saito, Ewald Schnug and Linda Tabe (2012) Sulfur Metabolism in Plants: Mechanisms and Applications to Food Security and Responses to Climate ChangeOther articles (abstracts, chapters etc)
53. Hawkesford MJ (2012) Nitrogen use efficiency and long and longer term experiments at Rothamsted. Manuscript for XIV Congreso Internacional en Ciencias Agrícolas, Mexicali, mexico, October 2011.
52. Sulfur metabolism in plants: mechanisms and application to food security, and responses to climate change, De Kok, L.J., Tausz, M., Hawkesford, M.J., Höfgen, R., McManus, M.T.,Norton, R.M., Rennenberg, H, Saito, K., Schnug, E. and Tabe, L. (eds.), 2012 (in press) Springer.
51. Cabannes E, Buchner P, Hawkesford MJ (2012) Identification and sequence analysis of sulfate/selenate transporters in selenium hyper- and non-accumulating astragalus plant species. In Sulfur metabolism in plants: mechanisms and application to food security, and responses to climate change, De Kok, L.J., Tausz, M., Hawkesford, M.J., Höfgen, R., McManus, M.T.,Norton, R.M., Rennenberg, H, Saito, K., Schnug, E. and Tabe, L. (eds.), (in press) Springer.
50. Hawkesford MJ (2012) Sulfate uptake and assimilation – whole plant regulation. In Sulfur Metabolism in Plants: Mechanisms and Applications to Food Security and Responses to Climate Change, De Kok LJ, Tausz, M., Hawkesford, M.J., Höfgen, R., McManus, M.T.,Norton, R.M., Rennenberg, H, Saito, K., Schnug, E. and Tabe, L. (eds.), (in press) Springer.
49. DeKok L J, Stulen I and Hawkesford M J (2011) Sulfur nutrition in crop plants. In ‘The Molecular and Physiological basis of Nutrient Use Efficiency in Crops, Hawkesford MJ and Barraclough P, eds. Wiley Blackwell, Chichester, pp 295-309.
48. Hawkesford M J (2011) An overview of nutrient use efficiency. In ‘The Molecular and Physiological basis of Nutrient Use Efficiency in Crops, Hawkesford MJ and Barraclough P, eds. Wiley Blackwell, Chichester, pp 5-19.
47. Hawkesford M, Horst W, Kichey T, Lambers H, Schjoerring , Moller IS, White P (2011) Functions of macronutrients. In: Marschner’s Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants, P Marschner ed. Elsevier, London, pp135-189
46. Parry MAJP and Hawkesford MJ (2010) Genetic approaches to reduce greenhouse gas emissions: increasing carbon capture and decreasing environmental impact. In: Climate Change and Crop Production (ed. M.P. Reynolds) CAB International.
45. Hawkesford MJ and Howarth JR (2011) Transcriptional profiling approaches for studying nitrogen use efficiency. In ‘Annual Plant Reviews Volume 42: Nitrogen metabolism in plants in the post-genomic era’ eds: C Foyer and H Zhang, Blackwell Publishing, pp41-62.
44. Hawkesford MJ (2010) Sulfate transport. In ‘The Plant Plasma Membrane, Plant Cell Monographs 19,’ Murphy A, Peer W, Schulz B eds. Springer. Pp 291-301
43. Bouranis DL, Buchner P, Chorianopoulou SN, Laura Hopkins L, Protonotarios VE, Siyiannis VF and Hawkesford MJ (2008) Responses to sulfur limitation in maize. In: Sulfur Assimilation and Abiotic Stress in Plants. NA Khan et al (eds) Springer, Dordrecht pp1-19.
42. Hawkesford MJ (2007) Sulfur, plant ecology and responses to sulphur availability. In Malcolm J Hawkesford and Luit De Kok (eds) Sulphur in Plants: An Ecophysiological Perspective. Springer, Dordrecht. pp 1-15.
41. Hawkesford MJ (2007) Uptake, allocation and transport of sulphate in plants, algae and cyanobacteria. In Sulfur Metabolism in Phototrophic Organisms, Christiane Dahl, Rüdiger Hell, David Knaff, Thomas Leustek (eds) Springer, Dordrecht, pp15-30.
40. Hawkesford MJ, Howarth JR and Buchner P (2006) Control of sulfur uptake, assimilation and metabolism. In: Control of primary metabolism in plants (Annual Plant Reviews) W Paxton and MT McManus (eds) Blackwell Publishers, Oxford pp348-372.
39. Howarth JR, Barraclough PB and Hawkesford MJ (2005) A highly specific sulfate-deficiency induced gene (sdi1) from wheat. In: Sulfur transport and assimilation in plants in the post genomic era, K Saito, LJ De Kok, I Stulen, MJ Hawkesford, E Schnug, A Sirko and H Rennenberg (eds). Backhuys Publishers, Leiden pp161-164.
38. Lu C, Howarth JR, Barraclough PB, Edwards KJ and Hawkesford MJ (2005) Transcriptome analysis of wheat responses to sulfur nutrition. In: Sulfur transport and assimilation in plants in the post genomic era, K Saito, LJ De Kok, I Stulen, MJ Hawkesford, E Schnug, A Sirko and H Rennenberg (eds). Backhuys Publishers, Leiden pp157-160.
37. Hawkesford M. J., Lu C., Howarth J. R., Barraclough P. B. and Edwards K. J. (2005) Microarray analysis of wheat grain transcriptome under nitrogen and sulphur deficiency. In: Plant nutrition for food security, human health and environmental protection (Proceedings of the 15th International Plant Nutrition Congress), CJ Li et al (eds), Tsinghua University Press, Beijing. pp80-81.
36. Hawkesford MJ, Buchner P, Howarth JR and Lu C (2005) Understanding the regulation of sulfur nutrition – from sulfate transporter genes to the field. Phyton 45, 57-67.
35. Hawkesford MJ (2005) Sulphur. In: Nutritional genomics MR Broadley and P White (eds) Blackwell Publishers, Oxford pp87-111.
34. Hawkesford MJ and Miller AJ (2004) Ion-coupled transport of inorganic solutes. In Membrane transport (Annual Plant Reviews Volume15) ed M Blatt) Blackwell Publishers, Oxford. pp105-134.
33. Hawkesford MJ Preface J. Exp Botany 55 (404) p. iv Sulphur Metabolism in Plants - Integrating Complexity Special Issue
32. Malcolm Hawkesford, Rainer Hoefgen, Gad Galili, Rachel Amir, Geert Angenon, Holger Hesse, Doris Rentsch, Johann Schaller, Ingrid Van der Meer, Jacques Rouster, Zsofia Banfalvi, Polgar Zsolt, László Szabados, Jan Szopa and Agnieszka Sirko (2006) Optimising nutritional quality of crops. In Plant Genetic Engineering Vol 7: Plant Metabolic Engineering and Molecular Farming. Editor:Dr PK Jaiwal. Studium Press LLC, Huston, Texas 77272, USA, pp85-116.
31. J Howarth, JS Williams, RM Cooper and MJ Hawkesford (2003) The role of elemental sulfur in tomato as a phytoalexin response to Verticillium infection. In 5th Workshop on Sulfur Transport and Assimilation: Regulation, Interaction, Signalling, J-C Davidian, D. Grill, LJ De Kok, I Stulen, MJ Hawkesford, E Schnug and H Rennenberg (eds) Backhuys, Leiden. pp235-237.
30. L Hopkins and MJ Hawkesford (2003) Tissue and cell specific localization of a sulfate transporter in maize. In 5th Workshop on Sulfur Transport and Assimilation: Regulation, Interaction, Signalling, J-C Davidian, D. Grill, LJ De Kok, I Stulen, MJ Hawkesford, E Schnug and H Rennenberg (eds) Backhuys, Leiden. pp231-233.
29. MJ Hawkesford, P Buchner, L Hopkins and JR Howarth (2003) The plant sulfate transporter family: specialised function and integration with whole plant nutrition. In 5th Workshop on Sulfur Transport and Assimilation: Regulation, Interaction, Signalling, J-C Davidian, D. Grill, LJ De Kok, I Stulen, MJ Hawkesford, E Schnug and H Rennenberg (eds). Backhuys, Leiden. pp1-10.
28. MJ Hawkesford, P Buchner, L Hopkins and J Howarth (2003) Sulphate uptake and transport. In Sulfur in Plants, ed YP Abrol and A Ahmad. Kluwer Academic Press, Dordrecht, The Netherland. pp 71-86.
27. MJ Hawkesford, RV Palmer, FJ Zhao and SP Mcgrath (2002) Evaluation of critical phases of sulphur supply for optimum yield and quality. HGCA Project Report No. 272.
26. Malcolm J. Hawkesford (2001) Introduction. In ‘The molecular analysis of plant adaptation to the environment’. (Hawkesford and Buchner, eds). Kluwer, The Netherlands.
25. Malcolm J. Hawkesford, Peter Buchner, Richard M. Cooper, Sharon Hall, Laura Hopkins, Jonathan R. Howarth, Saroj Parmar, Rachel V. Palmer Jane Williams and John L. Wray. (2001) Integrating the knowledge gained from isolating the genetic components involved in sulfur uptake and metabolism with agronomic problems. In: Proceedings of symposium on Elemental Sulfur for Agronomic Applications & Desert Greening, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, February 2001.
24. Blake-Kalff MMA,Zhao FJ, Hawkesford MJ and McGrath SP (2000) Diagnosis of sulphur deficiency in oilseed rape and wheat. HGCA Project Report No. 217
23. Blake-Kalff M, Riley N, Hawkesford M, Zhao F and McGrath S (2000) Utilization of sulfur by oilseed rape in response to sullfur deficiency. Proceedings of 4th Workshop on S-metabolism. Paul Haupt, Bern. pp245-247.
22. Hopkins L and Hawkesford M (2000) S-supply, and amino acid pools in potato tubers. Proceedings of 4th Workshop on S-metabolism. Paul Haupt, Bern. pp259-261
21. Hawkesford MJ and Prosser IM (2000) The plant sulfate transporter family. Proceedings of 4th Workshop on S-metabolism. Paul Haupt, Bern. pp263-264.
20. Buchner P, Prosser IM and Hawkesford MJ (1999) Cloning and expression of sulfate transporters in wheat. Plant Transport Group of SEB meeting, Southampton, Sept 1999.
19. Hawkesford MJ, Prosser IM (1999) The plant sulphate transporter family. Plant Transport Group of SEB meeting, Southampton, Sept 1999.
18. Hawkesford MJ & Smith FW (1997) Structure and function of two higher plant sulfate transporters. In Developments in Plant and Soil Sciences (ed. T.Ando) Martinus Nijhoff, Dordecht. pp233-234.
17. Zhao FJ, Hawkesford MJ, Warrilow AGS, McGrath SP & Clarkson. (1996) Diagnosis of sulphur deficiency in wheat. In Sulphur Metabolism in Higher Plants (ed. Cram WJ, De Kok, L J, Stulen, I, Brunold, C, and Rennenberg, H.) Backhuys Publishers, Leiden, The Netherlands pp400-402.
16. Prosser IM, Schneider A, Hawkesford MJ & Clarkson DT (1997) Changes in nutrient composition, metabolite concentrations and enzyme activities in spinach in the early stages of S-deprivation In Sulphur Metabolism in Higher Plants (ed. Cram WJ, De Kok, L J, Stulen, I, Brunold, C, and Rennenberg, H.) Backhuys Publishers, Leiden, The Netherlands pp 339-342.
15. Schneider A & Hawkesford MJ (1997) Cloning, expression and purification of fragments of the plant sulphate transporter. In Sulphur Metabolism in Higher Plants (ed. Cram WJ, De Kok, L J, Stulen, I, Brunold, C, and Rennenberg, H.) Backhuys Publishers, Leiden, The Netherlands pp 280-285.
14. Schneider A & Hawkesford MJ (1997) Purification of two tissue-specific isoforms of O-acetylserine (thiol) lyase from spinach (Spinacia medania L) and influence by sulphur nutrition. In Sulphur Metabolism in Higher Plants (ed. Cram WJ, De Kok, L J, Stulen, I, Brunold, C, and Rennenberg, H.) Backhuys Publishers, Leiden, The Netherlands pp 300-304.
13. Hawkesford MJ & Smith FW. Molecular biology of higher plant sulphate transporters. In Sulphur Metabolism in Higher Plants (ed. Cram WJ, De Kok, L J, Stulen, I, Brunold, C, and Rennenberg, H.) Backhuys Publishers, Leiden, The Netherlands pp 13-25.
12. Clarkson, D.T., Hawkesford, M.J. and Davidian, J.C. (1993). Membrane and long distance transport of sulphate. In Sulfur nutrition and assimilation in higher plants. Eds. DeKok et al, pp. 3-19. SPB Academic Publishing. The Hague, Netherlands.
11. Hawkesford, M.J. and Clarkson, D.T. (1991). Isolation of transport-protein mutants in Arabidopsis. Project Summary in Rabido, 5th AFRC PMB Arabidopsis Newsletter (March, 1991).
10. Hawkesford, M.J. (1990). Homologies between anion transport proteins. Abstract, 5th Plant Transport Group (SEB) Meeting, Edinburgh.
9. Hawkesford, M.J. and Belcher, A.R. (1989). Characterisation of plant membrane proteins: approaches and problems in the identification of ion carriers. Abstract, 4th Plant Transport Group Meeting, Oaklands.
8. Hawkesford, M.J. (1988). Identification and analysis of plasma membrane proteins characteristic of plants with high rates of anion uptake. Abstract, 3rd Plant Transport Group Meeting, Gregynog.
7. Hawkesford, M.J., Houchins, J.P. and Hind, G. (1984). Electron transfer around photosystem I in cyanobacterial heterocyst membranes. In: Advances in Photosynthesis Research, Proceedings of the VIth International Photosynthesis Congress, (ed. C. Sybesma), Vol. 2. pp. 671-674, The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff/Dr W. Junk.
6. Hawkesford, M.J. and Leaver, C.J. (1987). Plant mitochondrial genes, cytochrome c oxidase and cytoplasmic male sterility. In: Cytochrome systems (S. Papa, B. Chance and L. Ernster (eds), pp. 87-95, Plenum.
5. Hawkesford, M.J. and Leaver, C.J. (1987). Structure and biogenesis of the plant inner mitochondrial membrane. In: Plant Mitochondria (eds A.L. Moore and R.B. Beachey), pp. 251-263, Plenum.
4. Hawkesford, M.J., Rowell, P. and Stewart, W.D.P. (1983). Energy transduction in cyanobacteria. In: Photosynthetic Prokaryotes, (eds G. Papageogiou and L. Padar), pp. 199-218, Elsevier.
3. Stewart, W.D.P., Hawkesford, M.J., Rowell, P. and Codd, G.A. (1982). H2 production from sunlight and H2O - the role of the uptake of hydrogenase in N2-fixing cyanobacteria. In: Photochemical, Photo-electrochemical and Photobiological, (eds D.O. Hall and W. Palz), Vol. 1, pp. 165-169. Dordrecht: D. Reidal Publishing Co.
2. Stewart W.D.P., Rowell, P., Hawkesford, M.J., Sampaio, M.J.A.M. and Ernst, A. (1982). Nitrogenase and aspects of its regulation in cyanobacteria. Israel J. Bot., pp. 168-189, Special volume. Proceedings of Bat Sheva Workshop on N2 Fixation. Weizman Science Press of Israel.
1. Rowell, P., Reed, R.H., Hawkesford, M.J., Ernst, A., Diez, J. and Stewart, W.D.P. (1981). Some aspects of the regulation of nitrogenase activity in the cyanobacterium Anabaena variabilis. In: Current Perspectives in Nitrogen Fixation, (eds A.H. Gibson and W.E. Newton), pp. 186-189, Canberra, Australian Acad. Sci.