Professor John A. Pickett is originally an organic chemist who has gained worldwide recognition for his investigations into volatile natural products (pheromones and other semiochemicals) that affect the behaviour and development of animals, and act as external signals for plants. He is a world authority on semiochemicals in insect behaviour and plant defence, and plays a leading rôle in the move away from the traditional use of wide-spectrum pesticides to more precise control through compounds targeted against specific pests at crucial stages in their life cycles. His work centres on the chemical ecology of interactions between insects, between insects and their plant or animal hosts, and between plants. This specifically involves the chemical characterisation of molecular structures for semiochemicals via synthesis and spectroscopy. Research extends to the biochemistry and molecular biology of secondary plant metabolites that act as semiochemicals and the mechanisms via which they are employed by insects. More recently, his interests have turned to devising ways of linking genomics, through novel approaches, to the metabolomes of insects and their hosts. His recent practical successes include a programme in collaboration with African scientists, led by Professor Zeyaur Khan, for controlling stem borer pests and Striga weeds in Western Kenya, where over 40,000 resource-poor farmers have already adopted the system, termed “push-pull”.
After completing his BSc and PhD degrees at the University of Surrey and post-doctoral research at UMIST (now University of Manchester), John started his professional career with the Brewing Research Foundation and then, in 1976, he moved to Rothamsted Experimental Station (now Rothamsted Research) to lead a team working on agents having behavioural activity for new methods of pest control. He was appointed Head of the Insecticides and Fungicides Department (now the Department of Biological Chemistry) in 1984 and, concurrently in 2007, Scientific Director of the Rothamsted Centre for Sustainable Pest and Disease Management. In 2010, he relinquished these positions on being awarded the first Michael Elliott Distinguished Research Fellowship at Rothamsted. As well as fulfilling this prestigious new role, he continues research into Chemical Ecology and is still very much personally involved with day-to-day research activities in the UK and around the world. He has over 500 publications and patents.
John Pickett’s contributions to the field of chemical ecology have been acknowledged with the 1995 Rank Prize for Nutrition and Crop Husbandry, election to Fellowship of the Royal Society in 1996, International Society of Chemical Ecology Medal 2002, appointment to CBE for services to Biological Chemistry in 2004, and the prestigious Wolf Foundation Prize in Agriculture in 2008, among many other international measures of esteem. He also presented, in 2008, the Royal Society’s premier lecture in the biological sciences, The Croonian Prize Lecture, and Cornell University Lecture in 2009. In 2011, he received the Millennium Award and gave the Millennium Address at ASSOCHAM’s 9th Knowledge Millennium Summit in New Delhi, India. In August 2012, he was awarded the International Congress of Entomology Certificate of Distinction, presented at the XXIV International Congress of Entomology in Daegu, Korea.
Phone:+44 (0) 1582 763 133 ext: +44 1582 938321
Location:Rothamsted Research, West Common, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2JQ
- The interplay of rodent behaviour and semiochemistry: from scientific principles to control strategies
- New pest resistance in rice by breeding and genetic modification (GM) for constitutive and inducible levels of defence homoterpenes
- WISP (Wheat Institute Strategic Programme) extension (combined with S5354)
- *Novel semiochemicals for crop
- Innovative approaches to pest management
- *Napier Stunt-saving the smallh
- Defining the genetic and semiochemical basis of tick resistance in cattle
- UK Brazil partnering award for developing new aphid resistance in wheat
- Collaboration on chemical ecology of drought -tolerant plants used in the Push-Pull System-IBCARP
- Brazil-UK Partnership on Delivering Pest Resilience in Brazilian Smallholder Maize Crops
- Addiction of Insects for Biosensoring -Acting
- do not use
- Detection of volatile indicator compounds for biological contamination and deterioration of food
- Exploring adaptive immunity in plants
- Integrated Control of the Bean Seed Beetle, Bruchus Rufimanus
- A new generation of insect resistant GM crops: Transgenic wheat synthesising the aphid alarm signal
- BBSRC Quota Studentship: Defining the role of semiochemicals in host location and selection by UK Culicoides spp. biting midges
- Elucidating the chemical ecology of belowground plant-plant communication
- Monitoring and intervention strategies for bluetongue virus epidemics in rural India
- Adaptation and dissemination of the Push Pull technology (ADOPT)
- Achieving sustainable Striga control for poor farmers in Africa
- Olfactory mechanisms underlying behavioural manipulation of mosquitoes by malaria parasites
- Chemical ecology and integrated management of the banana weevil, Cosmopolites sordidus, in Ghana
- Chemical ecology of pest and beneficial arthropods : Identification, biosynthesis and scaled production of pheromones and other semiochemicals
- Chemical ecology of pest and beneficial arthropods : Understanding and exploiting semiochemical based mechanisms
- BBSRC/MRC Studentship: Flies and eyes: developing traps for sampling the trachoma vector, Musca sorbens
- Mechanisms of plant defence priming using seed treatments
- European Network for the Durable Exploitation of crop protection strategies ENDURE
- Towards incorporating the biosynthetic transformation required for Striga inhibition from Desmodium into edible legume intercrops
- Development of an integrated pest management strategy for control of pollen beetle in winter oilseed rape
- Towards incorporating the biosynthetic transformation required for Striga inhibition from Desmodium into edible legume intercrops: Supplement project
- Design of bioactive sesquiterpene-based chemical signals with enhanced stability
- Enhancing Diversity in UK wheat through a public sector prebreeding programme
- Enhancing Diversity in UK wheat through a public sector prebreeding programme
- Lawes Trust Studentship: Investigating ladybird alkaloids as potential leads for novel insecticides
- Genomic approaches to understanding and exploiting interactions between the parasitic weeds Striga species and their hosts
- Olfactory mechanisms underlying behavioural manipulation of mosquitoes by malaria parasites
- UK-Brazil partnership: The chemical ecology of crop-plant/rust-pathogen interactions for underpinning novel crop protection strategies
- Improved understanding of the causes, distribution and scale of Acute Oak Decline in the UK: diversity and life history of Agrilus biguttatus
Publications from 2008 onwards (from list of 500+):
334. A. Hassanali, H. Herren, Z.R. Khan, J.A. Pickett and C.M. Woodcock (2008) Integrated pest management: the push-pull approach for controlling insect pests and weeds of cereals, and its potential for other agricultural systems including animal husbandry. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society London B 363, 611-621.
335. Z.R. Khan, C.A.O. Midega, D.M. Amudavi, A. Hassanali and J.A. Pickett (2008) On-farm evaluation of the ‘push-pull’ technology for the control of stemborers and striga weed on maize in western Kenya. Field Crops Research 106, 224-233.
336. Z.R. Khan, D.M. Amudavi, C.A.O. Midega, J.M. Wanyama and J.A. Pickett (2008) Farmers’ perceptions of a ‘push-pull’ technology for control of cereal stemborers and Striga weed in western Kenya. Crop Protection 27, 976-987.
337. C.A.O. Midega, Z.R. Khan, J. van den Berg, C.K.P.O. Ogol, A.S. Dippenaar-Schoeman, J.A. Pickett and L.J. Wadhams (2008) Response of ground-dwelling arthropods to a ‘push-pull’ habitat management system: spiders as an indicator group. Journal of Applied Entomology 132, 248-254.
338. K. Schönrogge, E.K.V. Napper, M.A. Birkett, C.M. Woodcock, J.A. Pickett, L.J. Wadhams and J.A. Thomas (2008) Host recognition by the specialist hoverfly Microdon mutabilis, a social parasite of the ant Formica lemani. Journal of Chemical Ecology 34, 168-178.
339. J.G. Logan, M.A. Birkett, S.J. Clark, S. Powers, N.J. Seal, L.J. Wadhams, A.J. Mordue (Luntz) and J.A. Pickett (2008) Identification of human-derived volatile chemicals that interfere with attraction of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes. Journal of Chemical Ecology 34, 308-322.
340. T.J.A. Bruce, M.C. Matthes, K. Chamberlain, C.M. Woodcock, A. Mohib, B. Webster. L.E. Smart, M.A. Birkett, J.A. Pickett and J.A. Napier (2008) cis-Jasmone induces Arabidopsis genes that affect the chemical ecology of multitrophic interactions with aphids and their parasitoids. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 105, 4553-4558.
341. Z.R. Khan, D.G. James, C.A.O. Midega and J.A. Pickett (2008) Chemical ecology and conservation biological control. Biological Control 45, 210-224.
342. Z.R. Khan, C.A.O. Midega, E.M. Njuguna, D.M.Amudavi, J.W. Wanyama and J.A. Pickett (2008) Economic performance of the 'push-pull' technology for stemborer and Striga control in smallholder farming systems in western Kenya. Crop Protection 27, 1084-1097.
343. J.-J. Zhou, X.-L. He, J.A. Pickett and L.M. Field (2008) Identification of odorant-binding proteins of the yellow fever mosquito Aedes aegypti: genome annotation and comparative analyses. Insect Molecular Biology 17, 147-163.
344. M.A. Birkett, S. Al Abassi, T. Kröber, K. Chamberlain, A.M. Hooper, P.M. Guerin, J. Pettersson, J.A. Pickett, R. Slade and L.J. Wadhams (2008) Antiectoparasitic activity of the gum resin, gum haggar, from the East African plant, Commiphora holtziana. Phytochemistry 69, 1710-1715.
345. A.L. Mauchline, M.A. Birkett, C.M. Woodcock, J.A. Pickett, J.L. Osborne and W. Powell (2008) Electrophysiological and behavioural responses of the pollen beetle, Meligethes aeneus, to volatiles from a non-host plant, lavender, Lavandula angustifolia (Lamiaceae). Arthropod-Plant Interactions 2, 109-115.
346. J.D. Blande, J.A. Pickett and G.M. Poppy (2008) Host foraging for differentially adapted brassica-feeding aphids by the braconid parasitoid Diaeretiella rapae. Plant Signaling & Behavior 3, 580-582.
347. M.C. Blassioli Moraes, M.A. Birkett, R Gordon-Weeks, L.E. Smart, J.L. Martin, B.J. Pye, R. Bromilow and J.A. Pickett (2008) cis-Jasmone induces accumulation of defence compounds in wheat, Triticum aestivum. Phytochemistry 69, 9-17.
348. Z.R. Khan, J.A. Pickett, A. Hassanali, A.M. Hooper and C.A.O. Midega (2008) Desmodium species and associated biochemical traits for controlling Striga species: present and future prospects. Insights. Weed Research 48, 302-306.
349. B. Webster, T. Bruce, S. Dufour, C Birkemeyer, M. Birkett, J. Hardie and J. Pickett (2008) Identification of volatile compounds used in host location by the Black Bean Aphid, Aphis fabae. Journal of Chemical Ecology 34: 1153-1161.
350. J.A. Pickett, M.A. Birkett and J.G. Logan (2008) DEET repels ORNery mosquitoes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 105, 36: 13195-13196.
351. T.W.Pope, R. Kissen, M. Grant., J.A. Pickett, J.T. Rossiter and G. Powell (2008) Comparative innate responses of the aphid parasitoid Diaeretiella rapae to alkenyl glucosinolate derived isothiocyanates, nitriles, and epithionitriles. Journal of Chemical Ecology 34:1302-1310.
352. J. Pettersson, V. Ninkovic, R. Glinwood, S Al Abbassi, M. Birkett, J. Pickett and L Wadhams (2008) Chemical stimuli supporting foraging behaviour of Coccinella septempunctata L. (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae): volatiles and allelobiosis. Appl. Entomol. Zool. 43 (3): 315-321.
353. S.Y. Dewhirst, M. A. Birkett, J.D. Fitzgerald, A. Stewart-Jones, L.J. Wadhams, C.M. Woodcock, J. Hardie and J.A. Pickett (2008) Dolichodial: A new aphid sex pheromone component? Journal of Chemical Ecology 34: 1575-1583.
354. D.M. Amudavi, Z.R. Khan, J.M. Wanyama, C.A.O. Midega, J. Pittchar, A. Hassanali and J.A. Pickett (2009) Evaluation of farmers’ field days as a dissemination tool for push-pull technology in Western Kenya. Crop Protection 28: 225-235
355. F.Frati, K. Chamberlain, M. Birkett, S.Dufour, P. Mayon, C. Woodcock, L. Wadhams, J. Pickett, G. Salerno, E. Conti, and F. Bin (2009) Vicia faba-Lygus rugulipennis Interactions: Induced plant volatiles and sex pheromone enhancement. Journal of Chemcial Ecology 35: 201-208
356. Z.R. Khan, A. Hassanali, J.A. Pickett, L.J. Wadhams and F. Muyekho (2004) Strategies for management of cereal stemborers and striga weed in maize-based farming systems in Eastern Africa involving `push-pull’ and allelopathic tactics. Proceedings 2nd National Pest Management Conference, Wad Medani, Sudan, 6-9 December 2004, pp. 72-84.
357. B. Webster, T. Bruce, J. Pickett and J. Hardie. (2008) Olfactory recognition of host plants in the absence of host-specific volatile compounds. Communicative and Integrative Biology. 1:2,167-169.
358. M. Subchev, T. Toshova, C Koshio, S. Franke, A. Tröger, R. Twele, W. Francke, J. A. Pickett, L.J. Wadhams and C.M. Woodcock. (2009). Identification and biological activity of sex pheromone components from females of the plum moth Illiberis rotundata Jordan (Lepidoptera: Zygaenidae: Procridinae). Chemoecology 19:47-54.
359. A.M. Hooper, A. Hassanali, K. Chamberlain, Z. Khan and J.A. Pickett. (2009) New genetic opportunities from legume intercrops for controlling Striga spp. parasitic weeds. Pest Manag Sci 65:546-552.
360. A. Stewart-Jones, S.Y. Dewhirst, L. Durrant, J.D. Fitzgerald, J. Hardie, A.M. Hooper, J.A. Pickett and G.M. Poppy. (2007) Structure, ratios and patterns of release in the sex pheromone of an aphid Dysaphis plantaginea. Journal of Experimental Biology 210, 4225-4344.
361 J.A. Pickett, M.A. Birkett, C.M. Woodcock and J-J. Zhou. (2009). Insect pheromones: scents and sex. The Biochemical Society 31:2 28-32.
362. C.Carson, M.A. Birkett, P. Kijatunga, J.G. Logan, B. Myambe, H.V. Pates, J.A. Pickett, R.T. Rwegoshora and M.M.Cameron (2009) Novel use of Stir Bar Sorptive Extraction (SBSE) in the isolation of oviposition attractants for gravid Culex quinquefasciatus (Diptera: Culicidae). Bulletin of Entomological Research 23:1-7.
363. M Matthes, J.A. Pickett and J.A. Napier (2008) Natural variation in responsiveness of Arabidopsis thaliana to methyl jasmonate is developmentally regulated. Planta 228:1021-1028.
364. J.G. Logan, N.J. Seal, J.I. Cook, N. M. Stanczyk., M.A. Birkett, S.J. Clark, S.A. Gezan, L.J. Wadhams, J.A. Pickett and A.J. Mordue (Luntz) (2009) Identification of human-derived volatile chemicals that interfere with attraction of the Scottish biting midge and their potential use as repellents. J. Med. Entomol. 46:2 208-219.
365. M.C.B. Moraes, R.A. Laumann, M. Pareja, F.T.P.S. Sereno, M.F.F. Michereff, M.A.Birkett, J.A. Pickett and M. Borges (2009). Attraction of the stink bug egg parasitoid Telenomus podisi to defence signals from soybean activated by treatment with cis-jasmone. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 131: 178-188.
366. D.A. Ukeh, M.A. Birkett, J.A. Pickett, A.S. Bowman and A.J Mordue Luntz (2009). Repellent activity of alligator pepper, Aframomum melegueta, and ginger, Zingiber officinale, against the maize weevil, Sitophilus zeamais. Phytochemistry 70: 751-758.
367. J-J. Zhou, G. Robertson, X. He, S. Dufour, A.M. Hooper, J.A. Pickett, N.H. Keep and L.M. Field (2009). Characterisation of Bombyx mori odorant-binding proteins reveals that a general odorant-binding protein discriminates between sex pheromone components. J. Mol. Biol. 389: 529-545.
368. R. Gordon-Weeks and J.A. Pickett (2009) Role of Natural Products in Nature: Plant-Insect Interations. Plant-derived Natural Products Chapter 15: 321- 347. A.E. Osbourn and V. Lanzotti (eds).
369. D.M. Amudavi, Z.R. Khan, J.M. Wanyama, C.A.O. Midega, J. Pittchar, I.M. Nyangau, A. Hassanali and J.A. Pickett (2009) Assessment of technical efficiency of farmer teachers in the uptake and dissemination of push-pull technology in Western Kenya. Crop Protection 28: 987-996.
370. Z.R. Khan, C.A.O. Midega, J.M. Wanyama, D.M. Amudavi, A. Hassanali, J. Pittchar and J.A. Pickett (2009) Integration of edible beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) into the push-pull technology developed for stemborer and Striga control in maize-based cropping systems. Crop Protection 28: 997-1006.
371. E. Obura, C.A.O. Midega, D. Masiga, J.A. Pickett, M. Hassan, S. Koji and Z.R. Khan (2009) Recilia banda Kramer (Hemiptera: Cicadellidae), a vector of Napier stunt phytoplasma in Kenya. Naturwissenschaften 96: 1169-1177.
372. R. Sasso, L.Iodice, C.M. Woodcock, J.A. Pickett and E. Guerrieri (2009) Electrophysiological and behavioural responses of Aphidius ervi (Hymenoptera: Braconidae) to tomato plant volatiles. Chemoecology (await page numbers).
373. D.A. Ukeh, M.A. Birkett, T.J.A. Bruce, E.J. Allan, J.A. Pickett and A.J.Mordue (Luntz) (2009) Behavioural responses of the maize weevil, Sitophilus zeamais, to host (stored-grain and non-host plant volatiles. Pest Management Science (await page numbers).
374. A.M. Hooper,S. Dufour, X. He, A. Muck, J-J. Zhou, R. Almeida, L.M. Field, A. Svatos and J.A. Pickett (2009) High throughput ESI-MS analysis of binding between the Bombyx mori pheromone-binding protein BmorPBP1, its pheromone components and some analogues. Chemical Communications.
375. H. Takemoto, W. Powell, J. Pickett, Y. Kainoh and J. Takabayashi (2009). Learning is involved in the response of parasitic wasps Aphidius ervi (Haliday) (Hymenoptera:Braconidae) to volatiles from a broad bean plant, Vicia faba (Fabaceae), infested by aphids Acyrthosiphon pisum (Harris) (Homoptera: Aphididae). Appl. Entomol. Zool, 44 (1): 23-28.
376. M.L. Hamilton, J.C. Caulfield, J.A. Pickett and A.M. Hooper (2009) C-Glucosylflavonoid biosynthesis from 2-hydroxynaringenin by Desmodium uncinatum (Jacq.) (Fabaceae). Tetrahedron Letters 50: 5656-5659.
377. E. Mendesil, T.J.A. Bruce, C.M. Woodcock, J.C. Caulfield, E. Seyoum and J.A. Pickett (2009) Semiochemicals used in Host Location by the Coffee berry Borer, Hypothenemus hapei. Journal of Chemical Ecology 35:944-950.
378. R. Kissen, T.W. Pope, M. Grant, J.A. Pickett, J.T. Rossiter and G. Powell (2009) Modifying the Alkylglucosinolate profile in Arabidopsis thaliana alters the tritrophic interaction with the herbivore Brevicoryne brassicae and Parasitoid Diaeretiella rapae. Journal of Chemical Ecology 35:958-969.
379. T.J.A. Bruce, C.A.O. Midega, M.A. Birkett, J.A. Pickett and Z.R. Khan (2010). Is quality more important than quantity? Insect behavioural responses to changes in a volatile blend after stemborer oviposition on an African grass. Biol. Lett.6:314-317.
380. B. Webster, S. Gezan, T. Bruce, J. Hardie and J. Pickett (2010) Between plant and diurnal variation in quantities and ratios of volatile compounds emitted by Vicia faba plants. Phytochemistry 71:81-89.
381. E.N.I. Weeks, J.A. Logan, S.A. Gezan, C.M. Woodcock, M.A. Birkett, J.A. Pickett and M.M Cameron. (2011) (Published on-line 2010) A bioassay for studying behavioural responses of the common bed bug, Cimex lectularius (Hemiptera: Cimicidae) to bed bug-derived volatiles. Bulletin of Entomological Research 101:1-8.
382. T.W. Pope, C.A.M. Campbell, J. Hardie, J.A. Pickett and L.J. Wadhams. (2007) Interactions between host-plant volatiles and the sex pheromones of the bird cherry-oat aphid, Rhopalosiphum padi and the Damson-hop Aphid, Phorodon humuli. Journal of Chemical Ecology 33:157-165.
383. J.A. Pickett, M.A. Birkett, S.Y. Dewhirst, J.G. Logan, M.O. Omolo, B. Torto, J. Pelletier, Z. Syed and W.S. Leal. (2010) Chemical ecology of animal and human pathogen vectors in a changing global climate. Journal of Chemical Ecology 36:113-121.
384. C.A.O. Midega, Z.R. Khan, J. Van den Berg, C.K.P.O. Ogol, T.J. Bruce and J.A. Pickett (2009). Non-target effects of the ‘push-pull’ habitat management strategy: Parasitoid activity and soil fauna abundance. Crop Protection 28: 1045-1051.
385. J.B. Rayaisse, I. Tirados, D. Kaba, S.Y. Dewhirst, J.G. Logan, A. Diarrassouba, E. Salou, M.O. Omolo, P. Solano, M.J. Lehane, J.A. Pickett, G.A. Vale, S.J. Torr and J. Esterhuizen (2010). Prospects for the Development of Odour Baits to Control the Tsetse Flies Glossina techinoides and G. palpalis s.l. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 4:3:e632.
386. B. Webster, T. Bruce, J. Pickett and J. Hardie (2010). Volatiles functioning as host cues in a blend become nonhost cues when presented alone to the black bean aphid. Animal Behaviour 79:451-457.
387. C.A.O. Midega, Z.R. Khan, D.A. Amudavi, J. Pittchar and J.A. Pickett (2010). Integrated management of Striga hermonthica and cereal stemborers in finger millet (Eleusine coracana (L.) Gaertn), through intercropping with Desmodium intortum. International Journal Pest Management 56:2:145-151.
388. S.Y. Dewhirst and J. A. Pickett (2010) Production of semiochemical and allelobiotic agents as a consequence of aphid feeding. Chemoecology 20:89-96.
389. A.M. Hooper, M.K. Tsanuo, K. Chamberlain, K. Tittcomb, J. Scholes, A. Hassanali, Z.R. Khan and J.A. Pickett (2010). Isoschaftoside, a C-glycosylflavonoid from Desmodium uncinatum root exudate, is an allelochemical against the development of Striga. Phytochemistry 71: 904-908.
390. Z.R. Khan, J.A. Pickett, M.L. Hamilton, A. Hassanali, A.M. Hooper, S.P. Kuate, C.A.O. Midega, J. Pittchar and B. Torto. (2010) Control of stem borers and striga in African cereals: a low input push-pull approach with rapidly expanding impact. Aspects of Applied Biology 96:71-76.
391. T.B. Toshova, D.I. Velchev, M.A. Subchev, M. Tóth, J. Vuts, J.A. Pickett and S.Y. Dewhirst. (2010). Electrophysiological responses and field attraction of the grey corn weevil, Tanymecus (Episomecus) dilaticollis Gyllenhal (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) to synthetic plant volatiles. Chemoecology 20:199-206.
392. J.A. Pickett, M.L. Hamilton, A.M. Hooper, Z.R. Khan and C.A.O. Midega (2010). Companion cropping to manage parasitic plants. Annual Review of Phytopathology 48:161-177.
393. A.C. Skelton, M.M. Cameron, J.A. Pickett and M.A. Birkett (2010). Identification of neryl formate as the airborne aggregation pheromone for the American house dust mite and the European House Dust Mite (Acari: Epidermoptidae). J.Med Entomol. 47(5):798-804.
394. M.C. Matthes, T.J.A. Bruce, J. Ton, P.J. Verrier, J.A. Pickett and J.A. Napier (2010). The transcriptome of cis-jasmone-induced resistance in Arabidopsis thaliana and its role in indirect defence. Planta 232:1163-1180.
395. Z.R. Khan, C.A.O. Midega, T.J.A. Bruce, A.M. Hooper and J.A. Pickett (2010) Exploiting phytochemicals for developing a ‘push-pull’ crop protection strategy for cereal farmers in Africa. Journal of Experimental Botany 61:15 4185-4196.
396. S. Koczor, F. Szentkirályi, M.A. Birkett, J.A. Pickett, E. Voigt and M. Tóth (2010). Attraction of Chrysoperla carnea complex and Chrysopa spp. Lacewings (Neuroptera: Chrysopidae) to aphid sex pheromone components and a synthetic blend of floral compounds in Hungary. Pest Manag. Sci. 66:1374-1379.
397. E. Obura, D. Masiga, C.A.O. Midega, F. Wachira, J.A. Pickett, A.L. Deng and Z.R. Khan (2010). First report of a phytoplasma associated with Bermuda grass white leaf disease in Kenya. New Disease Reports 21, 23.
398. S. Ahmad, R. Gordon-Weeks, J. Pickett and J. Ton. (2010) Natural variation in priming of basal resistance: from evolutionary origin to agricultural exploitation. Molecular Plant Pathology 11:6 817-827
399. M.A. Birkett, T.J.A. Bruce and J.A. Pickett (2010) Repellent activity of Nepeta grandiflora and Nepeta clarkei (Lamiaceae) against the cereal aphid, Sitobion avenae (Homoptera: Aphididae). Phytochemistry Letters 3 139-142.
400. J.G.Logan, N.M. Stanczyk, A. Hassanali, J. Kerme, A.E.G. Santana, K.A.L. Ribeiro, J.A. Pickett and A.J. Mordue (Luntz) (2010) Arm-in-cage testing of natural human-derived mosquito repellents. Malaria Journal 9:239.
401. S.Y. Dewhirst, J.A. Pickett and J. Hardie (2010) Aphid Pheromones. In Vitamins and Hormones Volume 83: 551-574. Editor Gerald Litwack, Elsevier Inc. Academic Press.
402. X. He, G. Tzotzos, C Woodock, J.A. Pickett, T. Hooper, L.M. Field and J-J. Zhou (2010) Binding of the general odorant binding protein of Bombyx mori BmorGOBP2 to the moth sex pheromone components. Journal of Chemical Ecology 36:1293-1305.
403. E.N.I. Weeks, M.A. Birkett, M.M. Cameron, J.A. Pickett and J.L. Logan (2010) Semiochemicals of the common bedbug, Cimex lectularius (Hemiptera:cimicidae), and their potential for use in monitoring and control. Pest Management Science.67:10-20.
404. A. Sasaki-Crawley, R. Curtis, M. Birkett, S. Powers, A. Papadopoulos, J. Pickett, R Blackshaw and B. Kerry (2010) Signalling and behaviour of potato cyst nematode in the rhizosphere of the trap crop, Solanum sisymbriifolium. Aspects of Applied Biology 103: 45-51. (3rd Symposium on Potato Cyst Nematodes)
405. details awaited,
406. C.A.O. Midega, Z.R. Khan, J.A. Pickett and S. Nylin (2011) Host plant selection behaviour of Chilo partellus and its implication for effectiveness of a trap crop. Entomolgia Experimentalis et Applicata 138:40-47.
407. A.W. Murage, D. M. Amudavi, G. Obare, J. Chianu, C.A.O. Midega, J. A Pickettand Z.R. Khan (2011) Determining smallholder farmers’ preferences for technology dissemination pathways: the case of “push-pull” technology in the control of stemborer and Striga weeds in Kenya, International Journal of Pest Management 57:2:133-145.
408. Z.R. Khan, C. Midega, J. Pittchar, J. Pickett and T Bruce (2011) Push-Pull technology: a conservation agriculture approach for integrated management of insect pests, weeds and soil health in Africa. UK government’s Foresight Food and Farming Futures project. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability 9:1: 162-170.
409. Oluwafemi, S., Bruce, T.J.A., Pickett, J.A., Ton, J. and Birkett, M.A. (2011) Behavioral responses of the Leafhopper, Cicadulina storeyi China, a major vector of maize streak virus, to volatile cues from intact and Leafhopper-damaged maize. Journal of Chemical Ecology 37:40-48.
410. M.A. Birkett, A. Hassanali, S. Hoglund, J. Pettersson and J.A. Pickett (2011) Repellent activity of catmint, Nepeta cataria, and iridoid nepetalactone isomers against Afro-tropical mosquitoes, ixodid ticks and red poultry mites. Phytochemistry 72: 109-114.
411. M. Matthes, T. Bruce, K. Chamberlain, J. Pickett and J. Napier (2011) Emerging roles in plant defense for cis-jasmone-induced cytochrome P450 CYP81D11. Plant Signaling & Behavior 6:4, 1-3.
412. J. Zhu, A. Zhang, K-C. Park, T. Baker, B. Lang, R. Jurenka, J.J. Obrycki, W.R. Graves, J.A. Pickett, D. Smiley, K.R. Chauhan and J.A. Klun (2006) Sex pheromone of the soybean aphid, Aphis glycines Matsummura and its potential use in semiochemical-based control. Environmental Entomology 35:2, 249-257.
413. A.W. Murage, G. Obare, J. Chianu, D.M. Amudavi, J. Pickett and Z.R. Khan (2011) Duration analysis of technology adoption effects of dissemination pathways: A case of ‘push-pull’ technology for control of Striga weeds and stemborers in Western Kenya. Crop Protection 30:531-538.
414. M. Hegde, J.N. Oliveria, J. G. da Costa, E. Bleicher, A.E.G. Santana, T.J.A. Bruce, J. Caulfield, S.Y. Dewhirst, C.M. Woodcock, J.A. Pickett and M.A. Birkett (2011) Identification of semiochemicals released by cotton, Gossypium hirsutum, upon infestation by the cotton aphid Aphis gossypii. Journal Chemical Ecology 37:741-750.
415. T.J.A. Bruce and J.A. Pickett (2011) Perception of plant volatile blends by herbivorous insects – Finding the right mix. Phytochemistry 72:1605-1611.
416. A. Tamiru, T. Bruce, C. Woodcock, J. Caulfield, C. Midega, C. Ogol, P. Mayon, M. Birkett, J. Pickett and Z. Khan (2011) Maize landraces recruit egg and larval parasitoids in response to egg deposition by a herbivore. Ecology Letters doi: 10.1111/j.1461-0248.2011.01674.x.
417. L.N. Lebesa, Z.R. Khan, A. Hassanali, J.A. Pickett, T.J.A. Bruce, M. Skellern and K. Krüger (2011) Responses of the blister beetle Hycleus apicicornis to visual stimuli. Physiological Entomology 36: 220-229.
418. T.J.A. Bruce, J.L. Martin, L.E. Smart and J.A. Pickett (2011) Development of semiochemical attractants for monitoring bean seed beetle, Bruchus rufimanus. Pest Management Science 67:1303-1308.
419. J.A. Pickett and A.M. Hooper (2011) Delivering resistance to a major constraint for rain-fed rice production. New Phytologist 192: 792-794.
420. J.I. Cook, S.Majeed, R. Ignell, J.A. Pickett, M.A.Birkett and J.G. Logan (2011) Enantiomeric selectivity in behavioural and electrophysiological responses of Aedes aegypti and Culex quinquefasciatus mosquitoes. Bulletin of Entomological Research 101: 541-550.
421. E.J. Symmes, S.Y. Dewhirst, M.A. Birkett, C.A.M. Campbell, K. Chamberlain, J.A. Pickett and F.G. Zalom (2012) The sex pheromones of meal plum (Hyalopterus pruni) and Leaf-curl plum (Brachycaudus helichrysi) aphids: identification and field trapping of male and gynoparous aphids in prune orchards. Journal of Chemical Ecology 38: 576-583.
422. X. Yu, H.D. Jones, Y. Ma, G. Wang, Z. Xu, B. Zhang, Y. Zhang, G. Ren, J.A. Pickett and L. Xia. (2012) (E)-β-Farnesene synthase genes affect aphid (Myzus persicae) infestation in tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum). Funct. Integr. Genomics. 12:207-213.
423. L.E. Harrup, J.G. Logan, J.I. Cook, N. Golding, M.A. Birkett, J.A. Pickett, C. Sanders, J. Barber, D.J.Rogers, P.S. Mellor, B.V. Purse and S. Carpenter (2012) Collection of Culicoides (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) using CO2 and enantiomers of 1-octen-3-ol in the United Kingdom. Journal of Medical Entomology 49:1:112-121.
424. J.A. Pickett, G.I. Aradottir, M.A. Birkett, T.J.A. Bruce, K. Chamberlain, Z.R. Khan, C.A.O. Midega, L.E. Smart and C.M. Woodcock (2012) Aspects of insect chemical ecology: exploitation of reception and detection as tools for deception of pests and beneficial insects. Physiological Entomology 37: 2-9.
425. S. Koji, S. Fujinuma, C.A.O. Midega, H.M. Mohamed, T. Isikawa, M.R. Wilson, M. Asche, S. Degelo, T. Adati, J.A. Pickett and Z.R. Khan (2012). Seasonal abundance of Maiestas banda (Hemiptera: Cicadellidae), a vector of phytoplasma, and other leafhoppers and planthoppers (Hemiptera: Delphacidae) associated with Napier grass (Pennisetum purpureum) in Kenya. J. Pest. Sci. 85: 37-46.
426. D.A. Ukeh, S.B.A. Umoetok, A.S. Bowman, A.J. Mordue (Luntz), J.A. Pickett and M.A. Birkett (2012) Alligator pepper, Aframomum melegueta, and ginger, Zingiber officinale, reduce stored maize infestation by the maize weevil, Sitophilus zeamais in traditional African granaries. Crop Protection 32: 99-103.
427. A. Tamiru, T.J.A. Bruce, C.A.O. Midega, C. M. Woodcock, M.A. Birkett, J.A. Pickett and Z.R. Khan (2012). Oviposition induced volatile emissions from African smallholder farmers’ maize varieties. Journal of Chemical Ecology 38:231-234.
428. A.W. Murage, G. Obare, J. Chianu, D.M. Amudavi, C.A.O. Midgea, J.A. Pickett and Z.R. Khan (2012). The effectiveness of dissemination pathways on adoption of “push-pull” technology in Western Kenya. Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture 51: 1: 51-71.
429. M. Hegde, J.N. Oliveira, J.G. da Costa, E. Loza-Reyes, E. Bleicher, A.E.G. Santana, J.C. Caulfield, P. Mayon, S.Y. Dewhirst, T.J.A. Bruce, J.A. Pickett and M.A. Birkett (2012) Aphid antixenosis in cotton is activated by the natural plant defence elicitor cis-jasmone. Phytochemistry 78: 81-88.
430. M. Pareja, E. Qvarfordt, B. Webster, P. Mayon, J. Pickett, M. Birkett and R. Glinwood (2012). Herbivory by a Phloem-feeding insect inhibits floral volatile production. PLoS ONE 7:2:e31971.
431. X-D Yu, J. Pickett, Y.Z. Ma, T. Bruce, J. Napier, H.D. Jones and L-Q Xia (2012). Metabolic Engineering of plant-derived (E)-β-farnesene synthase genes for a novel type of aphid-resistant genetically modified crop plants. Journal of Institute of Integrative Plant Biology 54: 5: 282-299.
432. Z.R. Khan, C.A.O. Midega, J. Pittchar, T.J.A. Bruce and J.A. Pickett (2012) ‘Push-Pull’ revisited: The process of successful deployment of a chemical ecology based pest management tool. Biodiversity and Insect Pests: Key Issues for Sustainable Management Chapter 16: 259-275. Edited by Geoff M Gurr, Steve D Wratte, Willian E Snyder, Donna M.Y. Read. John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
433. K. Chamberlain, M. Briens, J.H. Jacobs, S.J. Clark and J.A. Pickett (2012) Use of honey bees (Apis mellifera L.) to detect the presence of mediterranean fruit fly (Ceratitis capitata Wiedemann) larvae in Valencia oranges. J. Sci. Food Agric. 92:2050-2054.
434. L.N. Lebesa, Z.R. Khan, K. Krüger, T.J.A. Bruce, A. Hassanali and J.A. Pickett (2012). Farmers’ knowledge and perceptions of blister beetles, Hycleus spp. (Coleoptera: Meloidae), as pest herbivores of Desmodium legumes in western Kenya. International Journal of Pest Management 58: 2: 165-174.
435. M.A. Khan, I. Jones, E. Loza-Reyes, M.M. Cameron, J.A. Pickett and M.A. Birkett (2012). Interference in foraging behaviour of European and American house dust mites Dermatophagoides farinae (Acari: Pyroglyphidae) by catmint, Nepeta cataria (Lamiaceae). Exp. Appl. Acarol. 57:65-74.
436. S. Dufour, P. Castets, J.A. Pickett and A.M. Hooper (2012). A diastereoselective synthesis of (1SR,3SR,7RS)-3-methyl-alpha- himachalene, the sex pheromone of the sandfly, Lutzomyia longipalpis (Diptera:Psychodidae). Tetrahedron 68:5102-5108.
437. H.Takemoto, W. Powell, J. Pickett, Y. Kainoh, J. Takabayashi (2012). Two-step learning involved in acquiring olfactory preferences for plant volatiles by parasitic wasps. Animal Behaviour 83: 1491-1496.
438. M. Borges, M. Birkett, J.R. Aldrich, J.E. Oliver, M. Chiba, Y. Murata, R.A. Laumann, J. Alexandre Barrigossie, J.A. Pickett and M.C.B. Moraes (2006). Sex attractant pheromone from the rice stalk stink bug, Tibraca limbativentris stal. Journal of Chemical Ecology 32:2749-2761.
439. J.T. Rossiter, J.A. Pickett, M.H. Bennett, A.M. Bones, G. Powell and J. Cobb (2007). The synthesis and enzymic hydrolysis of (E)-2-[2,3-2H2]propenyl glucosinolate: Confirmation of the rearrangement of the thiohydroximate moiety. Phytochemistry 68:1384-1390.
440. J. Van den Berg, B. Torto, J.A. Pickett, L.E. Smart, L.J. Wadhams and C.M. Woodcock (2008). Influence of visual and olfactory cues on field trapping of the pollen beetle, Astylus atromaculatus (Col.: Melyridae). J. Appl. Entomol. 132:490-496.
441. P. Xu, A.M. Hooper, J.A. Pickett and W.S. Leal (2012). Specificity determinants of the silkworm moth sex pheromone. PLOS ONE 7:9:e44190 (await page nos).
442. M.C. Blassioli-Moraes, R.A. Laumann, M.W.M. Oliveira, C.M. Woodcock, P. Mayon, A. Hooper, J.A. Pickett, M.A. Birkett and M. Borges (2012). Sex pheromone communication in two sympatric neotropical stink bug species Chinavia ubica and Chinavia impicticornis. Journal of Chemical Ecology 38:836-845.
443. S.Y. Dewhirst, M. A. Birkett, E. Loza-Reyes, J.L. Martin, B.J. Pye, L.E. Smart, J.Hardie and J.A. Pickett (2012). Activation of defence in sweet pepper, Capsicum annuum, by cis-jasmone, and its impact on aphid and aphid parasitoid behaviour. Pest Management Science 68:1419-1429.
444. M. Kifuko-Koech, P. Pypers, J.R. Okalebo, C.O. Othieno, Z.R. Khan, J.A. Pickett, A.K. Kipkoech and B. Vanlauwe (2012). The impact of Desmodium spp. And curring regimes on the agronomic and economic performance of Desmodium-maize intercropping system in western Kenya. Field Crops Research 137: 97-107.
445. A. Sasaki-Crawley, R. Curtis, M. Birkett, A. Papadopoulos, R. Blackshaw and J. Pickett (2012). The use of Pluronic F-127 to study the development of the potato cyst nematode, Globodera pallia. Nematology 14(7): 869-873.
446. C.A.O. Midega, I.M. Nyang’au, J. Pittchar, M.A. Birkett, J.A. Pickett, M. Borges and Z.R. Khan (2012). Farmers’ perceptions of cotton pests and their management in western Kenya. Crop Protection 42: 193-201.
447. M.L. Hamilton, S.P. Kuate, M. Brazier-Hicks, J.C. Caulfield, R. Rose, R. Edwards, B. Torto, J.A.Pickett and A.M. Hooper (2012). Elucidation of the biosynthesis of the di-C-glycosylflavone isoschaftoside, all allelopathic component from Desmodium app. that inhibits Striga spp. Development. Phytochemistry 84: 169-176.
448. H. Elek, Martin, J., S. Ahmad, P. Werner, A. Anda, J. Pickett and L. Smart (2012). The effect of the genome species (Triticum monococcum and Triticum boeoticum) on the fecundity and behaviour of Thopalosiphum padi – Bird cherry-oat aphid. Georgikon for Agriculture 15:1-17.
449. D.A. Ukeh, C.M. Woodcock, J.A. Pickett and M.A. Birkett (2012). Identification of host kairomones from maize, Zea mays, for the Maize Weevil, Sitophilus zeamais. Journal of Chemical Ecology 38:1402-1409.
450. S. Koczor, F. Szentkiralyi, M.A. Birkett, J.A. Pickett, E. Voigt and M. Toth (2012) Comparison of different synthetic baits in field experiments with respect to attractivity to green lacewings (Neuroptera: chrysopidae). NÖVÉNYVÉDELEM 48:11: 501-506.
451. D. M. Magalhães, M. Borges, R.A. Laumann, E.R. Sujii, P. Mayon, J.C. Caulfield, C.A.O. Midega, Z.R. Khan, J.A. Pickett, M.A.Birkett and M.C. Blassioli-Moraes (2012) Semiochemicals from herbivory induced cotton plants enhance the foraging behavior of the Cotton Boll Weevil, Anthonomus grandis. Journal of Chemical Ecology 38:1528-1538.
452. H. Elek, P Werner, L. Smart, R. Gordon-Weeks, M. Nádasy and J. Pickett (2009) Aphid resistance in wheat varieties. Communication in Agricultural and Applied Biological Sciences 74:1:233-241.
453. R. Gordon-Weeks, L. Smart, S. Ahmad, H. Elek, Y. Zhang, J. Martin and J. Pickett (2010) The regulation of a natural plant defence pathway in wheat and its role in aphid resistance. Biology of plant-Microbe Interactions. 7, Proceedings of the XIV Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions Congress, Quebec, Canada 2009 12-127.
454. E.N.I. Weeks, J.G. Logan, M.A. Birkett, J.A. Pickett and M.M. Cameron (2013) Tracking bed bugs (Cimex lectularius): a study of the effect of physiological and extrinsic factors on the response to bed bug-derived volatiles. The Journal of Experimental Biology 216:460-469
455. C.A.O. Midega, J. Pittchar, D. Salifu, J.A. Pickett and Z.R. Khan (2013) Effects of mulching, N-fertilization and intercropping with Desmodium uncinatum on Striga hermonthica infestation in maize. Crop Protection 44:44-49.
456. H. Elek, L. Smart, J. Martin, S. Ahmad, R. Gordon-Weeks, S. Welham, M. Nádasy, J.A. Pickett and C.P. Werner (2013) The potential of hydroxamic acids in tetraploid and hexaploid wheat varieties as resistance factors against the bird-cherry oat aphid, Rhopalosiphum padi. Annals of Applied Biology 162: 100-109.
457. Z. Babikova, L. Gilbert, T.J.A. Bruce, M.A. Birkett, J.C. Caulfield, C.M. Woodcock, J.A. Pickett and D. Johnson (2013) Underground signals carried through fungal networks warn neighbouring plants of aphid attack. Ecology Letters 16: 835-843
458. S.M. Cook, M.P. Skellern, T.F. Döring and J.A. Pickett (2013) Red oilseed rape? The potential for manipulation of petal colour in control strategies for the pollen beetle (Meligethes aeneus). Arthropod-Plant Interactions 7: 249-258
459. S. Oluwafemi, S.Y. Dewhirst, N. Veyrat, S. Powers, T.J.A. Bruce, J.C. Caulfield, J.A. Pickett and M.A. Birkett (2013) Priming of production in maize of volatile organic defence compounds by the natural plant activator cis-jasmone. PLOS ONE 8:6:e62299
460. J.A Pickett, R. K. Allemann and M.A. Birkett (2013) The semiochemistry of aphids. Natural Product Reports 30: 1277-1283.
461. L.C. Hastie, C. Wallace, M.A. Birkett, A. Douglas, O. Jones, A.J. Mordue (Luntz), G. Ritchie, J.A. Pickett, J.L. Webster and A.S. Bowman (2013) Prevalence and infection intensity of sea lice (Lepeoptheirus salmonis) on Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) host is reduced by the non-host compound 2-aminoacetophene. Aquaculture 410-411: 179-183.
462. L.E. Smart, J.L. Martin, M. Limpalaër, T.J.A. Bruce and J.A. Pickett (2013) Responses of herbivore and predatory mites to tomato plants exposed to jasmonic acid seed treatment. Journal of Chemical Ecology await page numbers
463. J.A Pickett (2013) Food security: intensification of agriculture is essential, for which current tools must be defended and new sustainable technologies invented. Food and Energy Security await page numbers
464. S-H. Gu., K-M. Wong, Y-Y. Guo, L.M. Field, J.A. Pickett, Y-J. Zhang and J-J Zhou (2013) Identification and expression profiling of odorant binding proteins and chemosensory proteins between two wingless morphs and a winged morph of the cotton aphid Aphis gossypii glover. PLOS ONE, 8:9:e73524
465. Z. Babikova, D. Johnson, T. Bruce, J. Pickett and L. Gilbert (2013) Underground allies: How and why do mycelial networks help plants defend themselves? What are the fitness regulatory and practical implications of defence-related signalling between plants via common mycelial networks? Bioessays 35:0000-0000
466. S-H. Gu, K-M. Wu, Y-Y. Guo, J.A. Pickett, L.M. Field, J-J. Zhou and Y-J. Zhang (2013) Identification of genes expressed in the sex pheromone gland of the black cutworm Agrotis ipsilon with putative roles in sex pheromone biosynthesis and transport. BMC Genomics 14:636-
467. Z. Babikova, L. Gilbert, T. Bruce, S. Dewhirst, J. Pickett and D. Johnson (2013) Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and aphids interact by changing host plant quality and volatile emission. Functional Ecology DOI: 10.1111/1365-2435.12181.
468. H. Elek, L. Smart, J. Martin, S. Ahmad, R. Gordon-Weeks, A. Anda, S. Welham, J. Pickett (2013) Hydroxamic acids in Aegilops species and effects on Rhopalosiphum padi behaviour and fecundity. Bulletin of Insectology 66 (2): 213-220
473. C.A.O. Midega, D. Salifu, T.J. Bruce, J. Pittchar, J.A. Pickett and Z.R. Khan (2014) Cumulative effects and economic benefits of intercropping maize with food legumes on Striga hermonthica infestation. Field Crops Research 155:144-152
474. J.A. Pickett, C.M. Woodcock, C.A.O. Midega and Z.R. Khan (2014) Push-pull farming systems. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 26:125-132
475. H. Elek, L. Smart, S. Ahmad, A. Anda, C.P. Werner and J.A. Pickett (2014) A comparison of the levels of hydroxamic acids in Aegilops Speltoides and a hexaploid wheat and effects of Rhopalosiphum Padi behaviour and fecundity. Acta Biologica Hungarica 65:1:38-46
476. J.A. Pickett, G.I. Aradottir, M.A. Birkett, T.J.A. Bruce, A.M. Hooper, C.A.O. Midega, H.D. Jones, m.C. Matthes, J.A. Napier, J.O. Pittchar, L.E. Smart, C.M.Woodcock and Z.R. Khan (2013) Delivering sustainable crop protection systems via the seed: exploiting natural constitutive and inducible defence pathways. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B-Issue 369:1471-2970
477. J. Vuts, Z. Imrei, M.A. Birkett, J.A. Pickett, C.M. Woodcock and M. Toth (2014) Semiochemistry of the Scarabaeoidea. Journal of Chemical Ecology 40:190-210
478. G. M. Poppy, P.C. Jepson, J.A. Pickett and M.A. Birkett (2014) Achieving food and environmental security: new approaches to close the gap. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 369:20120272
479. Z.R. Khan, C.A.O. Midega, J.O. Pittchar, A.W. Murage, M.A. Birkett, T.J.A. Bruce and J.A. Pickett (2014) Achieving food security for one million sub-Saharan African poor through push–pull innovation by 2020. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 369:20120284
480. L.R. Farias, D.P. Paula, J.J. Zhou, R. Liu, G.J. Pappas Jr., M.C.B. Moraes, R.A. Laumann, M. Borges, M.A. Birkett, J.A. Pickett, L.M. Field and S.N. Báo (2014) Identification and expression profile of two putative odorant-binding proteins from the Neotropical brown stink bug, Euschistus heros (Fabricius) (Hemiptera: Pentatomidae). Neotrop Entomol. 43:106-114.
481. F. Chidawanyika, C.A.O. Midega, T.J.A. Bruce, F. Duncan, J.A. Pickett and Z.R.Khan (2014) Oviposition acceptance and larval development of Chilo partellus stemborers in drought-stressed wild and cultivated grasses of East Africa. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 151:209-217.
482. Z. Babikova, D. Johnson, T. Bruce, J.A. Pickett and L. Gilbert (2013) How rapid is aphid-induced signal transfer between plants via common mycelial networks? Communicative & Integrative Biology 6:6 325904
483. J. A. Pickett, S. Barasa and M.A. Birkett (2014) Vertebrate pheromones and other semiochemicals: the potential for accommodating complexity in signalling by volatile compounds for vertebrate management. Biochemical Society Transaction 42:4: 846-850
484. Z.R. Khan, C.A.O. Midego, I.M. Nyang’au, A. Murage, J. Pittchar, L.O. Agutu, D.M. Amudavi and J.A. Pickett (2014) Farmers’ knowledge and perceptions of the stunting disease of Napier grass in Western Kenya. Plant Pathology 63:1426-1435
485. H.F. Van Emden, J. Dingley, S.Y. Dewhirst, J.A. Pickett, C. M. Woodcock, L.J. Wadhams (2014) The effect of artificial diet on the production of alarm pheromone by Myzus persicae. Physical Entomology 39:285-291
486. J.A. Pickett (2014) Chemical Ecology in the Post Genomics Era. J Chem Ecol 40:319
487. Yan Zhang, Zhi-Xia Li, Xiu-Dao Yu, Jia Fan, J.A. Pickett, H.D. Jones, J.J Zhou, M.A. Birkett, J. Caulfield, J.A. Napier, G.Y. Zhao, X.G Cheng, Y. Shi, T.J. A. Bruce and L.Q. Xia (2015) Molecular characterization of two isoforms of a farnesyl pyrophosphate synthase gene in wheat and their roles in sesquiterpene synthesis and inducible defence against aphid infestation. New Phytologist, 206:3 1101-1115
488. A. Sasaki-Crawley, K Dybal, S.J. Powers, M. Birkett, J.A. Pickett, D. Nelson, R. Blackshaw, R. Carvalho and R. Curtis (2015) Quantative difference in gene expression of defence genes in Solanum tuberosum and S. sisymbriifolium infected with Globodera pallida. Indian Journal of Nematology 44:62-72
489. A. Tamiru, T. Bruce, C. Woodcock, M. Birkett, C. Midega, J. Pickett and Z. Khan (2015) Chemical cues modulating electrophysiological and behavioural responses in the parasitic wasp Cotesia Sesamiae. Canadian Journal of Zoology. 93:281–287
490. J. Vutz, S.J. Powers, J.C. Caulfield, J.A. Pickett and M.A. Birkett (2015) Multiple roles of a male-specific compound in the sexual behaviour of the dried bean beetle, Acanthoscelides obtectus (coleopteran: chrysomelidae, bruchinae). Journal of Chemical Ecology, 41:3 287-293
491. G. Mandela Fernández-Grandon, S.A. Gezan, J.A.L. Armour, J.A. Pickett, J.G. Logan (2015) Heritability of Attractiveness to Mosquitoes. Plos One. 10:4:e0122716
492. D.M. Mutyambai, T.J.A. Bruce, C.A.O. Midega, C.M. Woodcock, J.C. Caulfield, J. Van Den berg, J.A. Pickett, Z.R. Khan (2015) responses of parasitoids to volatiles induced by Chilo partellus oviposition on Teosinte, a wild ancestor of maize. Journal of Chemical Ecology 41:4 323-329
493. G.O. Asudi, J. van den Berg, C.A.O. Midega, J. Pittchar, J.A. Pickett, Z.R. Khan (2015) Napier grass stunt disease in East Africa: Farmers' perspectives on disease management. Crop Protection 71 116-124
494. J.R. Cho, M.H.Lee, C.G. Park, J.H. Kim, T. Hooper, C.M. Woodcock, J.A. Pickett (2014) Behavioral Response of the Lacewing Chrysopa cognata to both Aphis gossypii-induced Plant Volatiles and Chrysopa cognata-derived Volatiles. Korean Journal of Applied Entomology 53:1, 7-13
495. S. Touchet, K. Chamberlain, C.M. Woodcock, D.J. Miller, M.A. Birkett, J.A. Pickett and R.K. Allemann (2015) Novel olfactory ligands via terpene synthases. Chem. Commun, 51:7550-7553
496. D.M. Mutyambai, C.A.O. Midega, T.J.A. Bruce, J. Berg, J.A. Pickett, Z.R. Khan (2014) Behaviour and biology of Chilo partellus on maize landraces. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 153:170-181
497. Z.R. Khan, C.A.O. Midega, J. Pittchar, J.A. Pickett, (2014) Push-Pull: A Novel IPM Strategy for the Green Revolution in Africa, In Peshin, R. and Pimentel, D. (Eds.), Integrated Pest Management Experiences with Implementation, Global Overview, 4:585
498. A.W. Murage, C.A.O. Midega, J.O Pittchar, J.A. Pickett, Z.R. Khan (2015) Determinants of adoption of climate-smart push-pull technology for enhanced food security through integrated pest management in eastern Africa. Food Security, 7:709-724
499. S. Koczor, F. Szentkirályi, J.A. Pickett, M.A. Birkett, M. Tóth (2015) Aphid sex pheromone compounds interfere with attraction of common green lacewings to floral bait. Journal of Chemical Ecology 41:6:550-556.
500. Z. Babikova, L. Gilbert, K.C. Randall, T.J.A. Bruce, J.A. Pickett, D. Johnson (2015) Increasing phosphorus supply is not the mechanism by which arbuscular mycorrhiza increase attractiveness of bean (vicia faba) to aphids. Journal of Experimental Botany 65:18:5231-5241.
501. J. Vuts, W. Francke, K. Mori, P.H.G. Zarbin, A.M. Hooper, J.G. Millar, J.A. Pickett, M. Tth, K. Chamberlain, J.C. Caulfield, C.M. Woodcock, A.G. Trӧger, Éva Bálintné Csonka, M.A. Birkett (2015) Pheromone bouquet of the dried bean beetle, Acanthoscelides obtectus (Col.: Chrysomelidae), now complete. European Journal of Organic Chemistry, 4843–4846 doi: 10.1002/ejoc.201500196 (waiting page numbers)
502. C.A.O. Midega, T.J. Bruce, J.A. Pickett, J.O. Pittchar, A. Murage, Z.R. Khan (2015) Climate-adapted companion cropping increases agricultural productivity in East Africa. Field Crop Research 180:118-125
503. T.J.A Bruce et al. (2015) The first crop plant genetically engineered to release an insect pheromone for defence. Scientific. Reports. 5:118-125
DSc in Science (University of Nottingham)
PhD in Organic Chemistry (University of Surrey)
BSc in Chemistry (University of Surrey)
Measures of esteem
- Foreign Associate of the National Academy of Sciences USA: Current
- President of the Royal Entomological Society: Elected to become President of the Royal Entomological Society for two years from June 2014.
- Member, DFID Research Advisory Group (RAG)
- Reviewer, Retrospective study of the Rockerfeller program on rice biotechnology research, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Member, Review panel for grant proposals submitted to the Global Innovation Initiative (GII) for the British Council USA
- Royal Society-DFID Capacity Building Initiative: Chair, Royal Society-DFID Capacity Building Initiative (and Panel Member from 2012)
- ISMA project: Member, Advisory Board, Integrated Striga Management in Africa (ISMA) project in Nigerian and Kenya, funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- BBSRC Pool of Experts: Member of BBSRC Pool of Experts
- International Congress of Entomology Certificate of Distinction: Awarded at the XXIV International Congress of Entomology, Daegu, Korea, 19-25 August 2012
- Assessor TSB: Assessor, Grants for Research and Development,Technology Strategy board
- Member, Review Panel for SCPRID programme: Sustainable Crop Production Research International Development programme, jointly funded by BBSRC/DFID/BMGF/India. Current.
- BCPC Editorial Advisory Board, The Pesticide Manual: Current
- Institute for Life Sciences External Advisory Committee, University of Southampton: Current
- Assessor, Grants for R&D, Technology Strategy Board
- Member, HEFCE REF 2014 Sub-Panel 5, Biological Sciences: Current
- Chair, Royal Society Pfizer Award Seminar, 2011 and 2012
- Millennium Award: ASSOCHAM's 9th Knowledge Millennium Summit, New Delhi, India (and Millennium Address speaker)
- Honorary Fellowship of the Royal Entomological Society: Current
- Honorary Member of the Chemical Society of Ethiopia: Current
- Expert Advisor, National Strategy on Climate Change and Low Carbon Development, for the Government of Rwanda: Current
- Member, Informal Research Advisroy Group (iRAG) on research policy, DFID: Current
- Member of Board of Trustees, International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA): Current
- Member, Advisory Board, Vector-Based Control of Transmission: Discovery Research (VCTR): Current
- Ex-officio member of the Royal Society Hooke Committee: Current
- Member, Review Group, Royal Society Policy Report on Food Production, "Reaping the benefits: towards the sustainable intensification of global agriculture", launched 20 October, 2009
- Member, Royal Society's Medals and Awards Committee: Current
- Patron, Butterfly World, St. Albans: Current
- Member, Final Award Committee for the Leverhulme-Royal Society Africa Award: Current
- Member, Defence Scientific Advisory Council (DSAC), Independent Scientific and Technical Advice (ISTA) Register: Current
- Member, Review Group, Royal Society Policy Study on Biological Approaches to Enhance Food-Crop Production
- Member of Royal Society's Soiree Committee
- Editorial Board, Phytochemistry: Current
- Chairman of the Royal Society's Summer Science Exhibition Committee: Current
- Wolf Foundation Prize in Agriculture
- Royal Society Croonian Prize Lecture "Plant and Animal Communication"
- Chairman of Scientific Advisory Board for the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft Institute of Chemical Ecology, Jena: Current
- Chairman of the Royal Society Sectional Committee 9
- Member of Governing Body of Uppingham School as representative of the Royal Society: Current
- Editorial Board, Phytochemistry Letters: Current
- Chairman of the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe) Governing Council, Nairobi: Current
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Tropical Insect Science: Current
- Member of the Royal Society's Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowship Selection Panel
- Chairman of the Royal Society Working Group on Development for Biofuels
- Chair, Gates Foundation External Scientific Advisory Group (ESAC) on Pesticides: Current
- Foreign Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry: Current
- CBE, for Services to Biological Chemistry
- Honorary Life Membership, the Associated of Applied Biologists: Current
- Member of the BBSRC Appointments Board
- International Society of Chemical Ecology Medal
- Chairman, Royal Society Copus Grants Panel
- Member, Plant Sciences Advisory Board, University of Reading: Current
- Member of review panel of the Swiss National Science Foundation, NCCR Plant Survival in Natural and Agricultural Ecosystems: Current
- Member of the Royal Society Working Group monitoring the Planetary Protection activities associated with Beagle 2 probe to Mars
- Member of the Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina: Current
- Chairman, Royal Society Working Group on the Future of Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs)
- Member of Royal Society Council
- Presenter of expert evidence to the House of Lords Select Committee on the European Communities, Organic Farming and the European Union
- Member of Peer Review Committee on Environmental Biology and Chemical Ecology in the Boyce Thompson Institute for Plant Research at Cornell University
- Chairman and Organiser, Royal Society Discussion Meeting, Insecticide Resistance: from Mechanisms to Management, and co-editor of associated volume, CABI publishing
- Chairman and Organiser, Biotechnology in Agriculture, IBC UK Conference, London
- Guest Editor, The Biochemist, Insect Supersense
- Vice-Chairman, Executive Committee, Ninth International Congress of Pesticide Chemistry, London
- Proposer and Chairman, Novartis Foundation Symposium 223, Insect-Plant Interactions and Induced Plant Defence
- External Examiner, Environmental Science, University of Sussex
- Member of the Royal Institution: Current
- Member of Royal Society Conference Grants Committe
- Member of Royal Society Sectional Committee 9
- Expert, committee for evaluation of INCO-Copernicus, EU Commission DGXII
- Scientific Adviser, International Foundation for Science, Stockholm, Sweden: Current
- Fellow of the Royal Society: Current
- President, International Society of Chemical Ecology
- Honorary Member, Academic Staff, University of Reading: Current
- The Rank Prize, Nutrition and Crop Husbandry
- Vice-President, International Society of Chemical Ecology
- Visiting Group IPO-DLO, Netherlands
- Member of the American Chemical Society: Current
- Chairman, Advisory Committee, School of Applied Chemistry, University of North London
- External Examiner, MSc Course, Pest Management, Imperial College at Silwood Park
- Editorial Board, Journal of Chemical Ecology: Current
- Councillor, International Society of Chemical Ecology
- Honorary Professor, University of Nottingham
- Fellow of the Royal Entomological Society: Current
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry: Current