Designing Seeds for Nutrition and Health
Principal Investigator: Johnathan Napier
Harnessing our expertise in seed biology and biochemistry to deliver improved health and nutrition through seeds.
Seeds are major components in a wide range of foods and animal feeds, so their composition is an important determinant of nutritional value. We will focus on understanding and optimising the nutritional value of the seeds of two crops, wheat and brassicas, with the aim of enhancing their impact on health and well-being.
This strategic theme will be delivered through three programmes:
1. Nemeth, C., Freeman, J., Jones, H. D., Sparks, C., Pellny, T. K., Wilkinson, M.D., Dunwell, J., Andersson, A..A. M., Aman, P., Guillon, F., Saulnier, L., Mitchell, R. A.C. & Shewry, P.R. (2010) Down-regulation of the CSLF6 gene results in decreased (1,3;1,4)-β-D-glucan in endosperm of wheat. Plant Physiology 152, 1209-1218. DOI: 10.1104/pp.109.151712
2. Toole, G. A., Le Gall, G., Colquhoun, I. J., Nemeth, C., Saulnier, L., Lovegrove, A., Pellny, T., Wilkinson, M.D., Freeman, J., Mitchell, R. A. C., Mills, E. N. C. & Shewry P. R. (2010) Temporal and spatial changes in cell wall composition in developing grains of wheat cv. Hereward. Planta 232, 677-689. DOI: 10.1007/s00425-010-1199-5
3. Zhao, F. J., Su, Y. H., Dunham, S. J., Rakszegi, M., Bedo, Z., McGrath, S. P. & Shewry, P. R. (2009) Variation in mineral micronutrient concentrations in grain of wheat lines of diverse origin. Journal of Cereal Science 49, 290-295. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcs.2008.11.007
4. Ruiz-López, N., Haslam, R. P., Venegas-Calerón, M., Larson, T. R., Graham, I. A., Napier, J. A. & Sayanova, O. (2009) The synthesis and accumulation of stearidonic acid in transgenic plants: a novel source of 'heart-healthy' omega-3 fatty acids. Plant Biotechnology Journal 7, 704-716. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-7652.2009.00436.x
5. Venegas-Calerón, M., Sayanova, O. & Napier, J.A. (2010) An alternative to fish oils: metabolic engineering of oil-seed crops to produce omega-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids. Progress in Lipid Research 49, 108-119. DOI: 10.1016/j.plipres.2009.10.001
6. Nyathi, Y., De Marcos Lousa, C., van Roermund, C. W., Wanders, R. J. A, Baldwin, S. A., Theodoulou, F. L. & Baker, A. (2010) The Arabidopsis peroxisomal ABC transporter, COMATOSE, complements the Saccharomyces cerevisiae pxa1 pxa2Δ double mutant for metabolism of long chain fatty acids and exhibits fatty acyl-CoA stimulated ATPase activity. Journal of Biological Chemistry 285, 29892-29902. DOI: 10.1074/jbc.M110.151225
7. Holman, T., Jones, P. D., Russell, L., Medhurst, A., Talloji, P., Marquez, J., Úbeda-Tomás, S., Schmuths, H., Tung, S-A., Taylor, I., Footitt, S., Bachmair, A., Theodoulou, F. L. & Holdsworth, M. J. (2009) The N-end rule pathway promotes seed germination and establishment through removal of ABA sensitivity in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106, 4549-4554. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.0810280106
Operates two national networks for monitoring insect populations in the UK. More...
Provides the research community access to a range of in situ state-of-the-art instrumentation in hydrologically isolated fields and farms to better address key issues in sustainable agriculture. More...
A database of interactions between pathogens and their hosts maintained at Rothamsted Research with international input. More...
These have been running since the mid 19th Century, provide a unique experimental system and archive of soil and plant samples. More...
Rothamsted Research receives
strategic funding from the BBSRC
|Contact UsDisclaimerFeedbackCareersCorporate InformationPress OfficeHow to find us||© Rothamsted Research 2013|